* No clean shutdown over runit.
@ 2005-02-07 11:42 Umesh T G
From: Umesh T G @ 2005-02-07 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I am using RUNIT 1.05.
When given command "poweroff" It will not shut down, instead it will
just display a screen with

----
Power Down!!!
Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init.
---

Also when given the command "reboot" it acts abnormally, like "getties"
will not get stopped.

Please let me know, If any info I'm missing.

Thanks,

Cheers,
Umesh

* Re: No clean shutdown over runit.
@ 2005-02-07 13:49 ` Kevin
From: Kevin @ 2005-02-07 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

>From my understanding, one should use init 0 if you want to power off
your system.  poweroff doesn't always report to runit correctly, whereas
init 0 will power off the system cleanly (at least in my experience.)

@ 2005-02-13 13:47   ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-02-13 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 07:49:59AM -0600, Kevin wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 17:12 +0530, Umesh T G wrote:
> > I am using RUNIT 1.05.
> > When given command "poweroff" It will not shut down, instead it will
> > just display a screen with
> >
> > ----
> > Power Down!!!
> > Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init.
> > ---

> From my understanding, one should use init 0 if you want to power off
> your system.  poweroff doesn't always report to runit correctly,
> whereas init 0 will power off the system cleanly (at least in my
> experience.)

Yes, with runit better use `init 0` to halt the system, and `init 6` for
reboot.  I'll remove the references to other init scheme's shutdown,
reboot, or poweroff programs from the documentation.

> > Also when given the command "reboot" it acts abnormally, like "getties"
> > will not get stopped.

See
 http://skarnet.org/lists/archive.cgi?2:mss:545:200402:folmoaambdkagghmmhgm

HTH, Gerrit.