* OT: /package and /service
@ 2005-04-19 18:39 Payal Rathod
From: Payal Rathod @ 2005-04-19 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I am not sure where exactly these questions belong to. I am taking the
liberty to post them here. Please excuse.

1. Why is /package made with sticky bit set?

2. In /service/<process>/supervise/ there are 4 files,
2 fifos - control and ok
2 normal files - lock and status
Why are fifos used here? Which document explains this?

3. On cr.yp.to it says that,
"svscanboot starts svscan in the /service directory, ..."
"svscan starts one supervise process ... "
"svscan is designed to run forever. "

I understand that if process under service dies svscan starts it again.
But what about svscan itself? What if it dies? Who restarts it? Reading
the script /command/svscanboot did not help much.
Also is there any documentation which says why are there so many dots in
that script and what do they signify?

Thanks in advance.
With warm regards,
-Payal