* non-root runit
@ 2005-05-11 15:51 Wes Chow
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.61.0505111225560.7520@e-smith.charlieb.ott.istop.com>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wes Chow @ 2005-05-11 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

We're looking into the possibility of messing with runit to allow
non-root users to start and stop their own services.  I believe this
might be as easy as running an instance of runsvdir (one per user) from
within runit.  Does anybody have experience doing something like this?

I'm not subscribed to the list, so please cc me in your replies.

Thanks,
Wes

--

Athena Capital Research LLC
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA5CA6644

* Re: non-root runit
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.61.0505111225560.7520@e-smith.charlieb.ott.istop.com>
@ 2005-05-11 17:11   ` Wes Chow
From: Wes Chow @ 2005-05-11 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005, Wes Chow wrote:
>
>> I'm not subscribed to the list, so please cc me in your replies.
>

> How hard is it for you to join the list? Or read the list archives?

I am now subscribed to the list.

I was probing more for any "gotchas" rather than, say, setting up the
appropriate permissions, which is the only information on this topic I
was able to find in the archives.

Thanks,
Wes

--

@ 2005-05-11 17:55 ` Alex Efros
From: Alex Efros @ 2005-05-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:51:14AM -0400, Wes Chow wrote:
> We're looking into the possibility of messing with runit to allow
> non-root users to start and stop their own services.  I believe this
> might be as easy as running an instance of runsvdir (one per user) from
> within runit.  Does anybody have experience doing something like this?

I use this, even without root permissions - from user's cron:

*/1 * * * *  ( cd MY_DIR_HERE && exec chpst -L .lock.service runsvdir service/ &>/dev/null ) &

--
			WBR, Alex.

* Re: non-root runit
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.61.0505111225560.7520@e-smith.charlieb.ott.istop.com>
@ 2005-05-15 10:54 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-05-15 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 11:51:14AM -0400, Wes Chow wrote:
> We're looking into the possibility of messing with runit to allow
> non-root users to start and stop their own services.  I believe this
> might be as easy as running an instance of runsvdir (one per user) from
> within runit.  Does anybody have experience doing something like this?

That's how I do it.  For each user that should have personal service
supervision, I create a service like this

$ cat /var/service/sv-pape/run
#!/bin/sh
exec 2>&1
exec chpst -m5000000 -upape runsvdir ~pape/service
$

and a log service.

Regards, Gerrit.