* "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-16  0:19 Gilles
From: Gilles @ 2005-05-16  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Is it possible to run the "djbdns" suite under "runit"
instead of "daemontools"?
[I'd guess the answer is yes, as "runit" is introduced
as a replacement for "daemontools".]

If so, there seems to be a dependency problem in Debian:
"djbdns-installer" depends on "daemontools" (and "runit"
does not provide "daemontools").

Is this right?
How to proceed?

Thanks,
Gilles

* Re: "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-16  0:30 ` mike
From: mike @ 2005-05-16  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:19:01AM +0200, Gilles wrote:
> If so, there seems to be a dependency problem in Debian:
> "djbdns-installer" depends on "daemontools" (and "runit"
> does not provide "daemontools").
>
> Is this right?
> How to proceed?

Someone needs to whip up a debian package that provides daemontools and
installs symlinks for the daemontools names. In the mean time, what I do
is manually insert daemontools as installed and then create the symlinks
myself.

* Re: "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-16  0:57   ` Gilles
From: Gilles @ 2005-05-16  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

> > If so, there seems to be a dependency problem in Debian:
> > "djbdns-installer" depends on "daemontools" (and "runit"
> > does not provide "daemontools").
> >

> Someone needs to whip up a debian package that provides daemontools and
> installs symlinks for the daemontools names.

Wouldn't it be sufficient to just add "runit" as an alternative to
"daemontools" in the dependency list?

What you suggest enables using the daemontools names for calling the
runit programs (in order to "provide" a daemontools interface). [Am I
correct?]

I just want to use runit's names for calling runit's programs. [Unless
the djbdns software somehow relies on the actual supervision software
used (?).]

> In the mean time, what I do
> is manually insert daemontools as installed and then create the symlinks
> myself.

What do you mean by "manually insert daemontools as installed"?
Could you please be more explicit?

Thanks for your help.

@ 2005-05-16  1:13   ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2005-05-16  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Sun, 15 May 2005 mike@mikebell.org wrote:

> On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:19:01AM +0200, Gilles wrote:
>> If so, there seems to be a dependency problem in Debian:
>> "djbdns-installer" depends on "daemontools" (and "runit"
>> does not provide "daemontools").
>
> Someone needs to whip up a debian package that provides daemontools and
> installs symlinks for the daemontools names.

runit programs don't transparently replace daemontools programs,
e.g. here's no tai64nlocal, and runsvctrl does not take the same args as
svc.

* Re: "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-16  1:53     ` Gilles
From: Gilles @ 2005-05-16  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >>If so, there seems to be a dependency problem in Debian:
> >>"djbdns-installer" depends on "daemontools" (and "runit"
> >>does not provide "daemontools").
> >
> >Someone needs to whip up a debian package that provides daemontools and
> >installs symlinks for the daemontools names.
>
> runit programs don't transparently replace daemontools programs,
> e.g. here's no tai64nlocal, and runsvctrl does not take the same args as
> svc.

So, "runit" cannot "provide" a "daemontools" interface.

But, can the "djbdns" programs be transparently supervised by "runit"?

If so, would it be acceptable to ask the maintainer of the "djbdns-installer"
deb package that "runit" be added as an alternative to "daemontools" in the
dependency list?

Best,

@ 2005-05-16  2:08     ` mike
From: mike @ 2005-05-16  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 02:57:37AM +0200, Gilles wrote:
> Wouldn't it be sufficient to just add "runit" as an alternative to
> "daemontools" in the dependency list?

Not unless the symlinks came with it. runit programs will behave
differently when called using daemontools names. One could easily
however have a "legacy-free" runit and a separate package that provided
"daemontools" and the symlinks.

> What you suggest enables using the daemontools names for calling the
> runit programs (in order to "provide" a daemontools interface). [Am I
> correct?]

See above.

> I just want to use runit's names for calling runit's programs. [Unless
> the djbdns software somehow relies on the actual supervision software
> used (?).]

You can also just change the scripts, but then tinydns-conf and the like
don't work and you need to do a little manual vi work after.

> What do you mean by "manually insert daemontools as installed"?
> Could you please be more explicit?

Basically shut debian up by lying to it and telling it that daemontools
is installed. There's probably a mechanism for doing it properly, but I
just use vi to tell it that daemontools is installed and has no files.

* Re: "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-16  2:22     ` mike
From: mike @ 2005-05-16  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 09:13:24PM -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:
> runit programs don't transparently replace daemontools programs,
> e.g. here's no tai64nlocal, and runsvctrl does not take the same args as
> svc.

Neither one is likely to be used by a program depending on daemontools,
no? Though it would be better if runit were 100% daemontools compatible.
What are the differences between svn and runsvctrl? Is there anything
stopping the writing of an svc personality for runsvctrl?

* Re: "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-16 19:43 ` TheOldFellow
From: TheOldFellow @ 2005-05-16 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilles wrote:
> Hello.
>

> Is it possible to run the "djbdns" suite under "runit"
> instead of "daemontools"?
> [I'd guess the answer is yes, as "runit" is introduced
> as a replacement for "daemontools".]
>
> If so, there seems to be a dependency problem in Debian:
> "djbdns-installer" depends on "daemontools" (and "runit"
> does not provide "daemontools").
>
> Is this right?
> How to proceed?

I have djbdns running under runit on my workstation.  I installed the
programs in /usr/sbin.  I created a new user (dnscache) and group (dns)
and ran:

dnscache-config dnscache root /etc/dnscache

to create the /etc/dnscache service directory, and then re-wrote the
service directory like this:

run:
#!/bin/sh
# link stdout and stderr, so they both get logged
exec 2>&1
# put the file seed on the stdin file descriptor, so that dnscache can
# read it
exec <seed
# run dnscache with the envars in ./env
exec chpst -e ./env /usr/sbin/dnscache

log/run:
#!/bin/sh
exec svlogd -tt /var/log/dnscache

Note that I'm running the logging process as root.  I added GID and UID
files to the env directory.  This sacrifices a couple of the limits that
DJB's scripts uses, but these could be added back using chpst options, I
just haven't got round to it yet.

It works well for me.

R.

* Re: "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-16 19:55       ` Csillag Tamás
From: Csillag Tamás @ 2005-05-16 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 05/15, mike@mikebell.org wrote:

> Basically shut debian up by lying to it and telling it that daemontools
> is installed. There's probably a mechanism for doing it properly, but I
> just use vi to tell it that daemontools is installed and has no files.
equivs
"This package provides a tool to create Debian
packages that only contain dependency information"

--
"Why make things difficult, when it is possible to make them cryptic
 and totally illogical, with just a little bit more effort?"

cstamas

* Re: "djbdns" under "runit" (Debian)?
@ 2005-05-17 13:20   ` Gilles
From: Gilles @ 2005-05-17 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> run:
> #!/bin/sh
> # link stdout and stderr, so they both get logged
> exec 2>&1
> # put the file seed on the stdin file descriptor, so that dnscache can
> # read it
> exec <seed
> # run dnscache with the envars in ./env
> exec chpst -e ./env /usr/sbin/dnscache
>
> log/run:
> #!/bin/sh
> exec svlogd -tt /var/log/dnscache

Thanks.

Gerrit,

May I suggest to add that script (or similar) to the list on
  http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html

Best regards,

@ 2005-05-17 13:49     ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-05-17 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 03:20:00PM +0200, Gilles wrote:
> May I suggest to add that script (or similar) to the list on
>   http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html

Sure, I'll think about it.  Thanks, Gerrit.