From: Stefan Karrmann <sk@mathematik.uni-ulm.de>
Subject: Re: Dependencies for runit (again)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:34:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear all,

Mike Bell (Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:03:50AM -0700):
> From discussions on some list set up to discuss an alternative init
> system for debian, I've garnered three main issues with runit's
> current dependency system:
>
> - It's not programmatically parsable, only a human can tell that a rule
>   at the top of a shell script checking for a given socket is actually
>   waiting for postgres. Prevents
> - It encourages code duplication. The code to check if service X is up
>   is not in service X's directory, but rather scattered over the run
>   scripts of the services which depend upon it. [1]
> - The "repeatedly exec until service is up" method seems to bother
>   people.

IMHO, the latter is a main point of daemontools and runit.

> I believe there may be advantages to considering a "proper" dependency
> system for runit.
>
> What I had in mind was firstly the addition of a new shell script in the
> service's directory (anyone got a good name?), designed to test whether

my 2 ¢: `accepting' - think of sockets.

You may use pipe-tools if you prefer events over polling.

> the service is currently running. In its absence we would have to rely
> on the "it hasn't restarted for a while" method.
>
> Secondly, a new directory in a service directory, named dependencies,
> which contains symlinks to other service directories. runsv then ensures
> that each of these services is running (by either using the
> aforementioned "am I up" test script itself, or by having the runsv of
> the service itself use said script and then report the status).

Why should runsv do the work? Write a new command, e.g.
`start-dependencies', which starts all services in the sub-directory
dependencies. Then run it as first command from the run-command of
a service.

How are the signals from runit or supervise handled here?

> Thirdly, though I'm not certain of the need for this, another directory
> like the above describing services which should be taken down along with
> the current service.

Again, why should runsv do it? Write `stop-dependencies' and enter it into
the finish-command of the service.

> It's a fairly simple set of changes, but...
> - it gets you dependencies which can be machine parsed and managed
>   easily.
>
> - it moves the detection of a daemon's status into that daemon itself
>   where it belongs - rather than having it duplicated in each of the
>   dependencies.
>
> - it allows you to do virtual dependencies (contrived example, daemon X
>   depends on either mysql or postgresql. Its dependencies simply link to
>   sql-server rather than either one specifically. Certainly a lot easier
>   than a mess of shell scripting with logical ors to detect each sql
>   daemon it can use.)
>
> - it fits better with package management. An upgrade to postgresql may
>   change the method for detecting if it's up, but with current runit
>   you'd have to also update every package which depends on postgresql.
>
> - it reduces the spin-and-die people seem to dislike so much about
>   runit. Particularly for a very complicated setup with a lot of daemons
>   depending on a single one (directly or indirectly) this could be a
>   significant reduction.

Regards,
--
Stefan