* runit & Slackware 10.1
@ 2005-08-11 22:59 Ron Wolenty
From: Ron Wolenty @ 2005-08-11 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have successfully installed runit on previous versions of slackware
but I am stumped here.  It uses the 2.4.29 kernel.  There seems to be
something that init is doing more than the .rc scripts.  If I have runit
execute the same startup scripts, rc.S and rc.M, hotplug detect fails to
initialize my PCI devices.  If I run rc.hotplug after the system has
finished booting everything seems to work.  Any ideas?

Ron

* Re: runit & Slackware 10.1
@ 2005-08-12 17:17 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-08-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:59:41PM -0500, Ron Wolenty wrote:
> I have successfully installed runit on previous versions of slackware
> but I am stumped here.  It uses the 2.4.29 kernel.  There seems to be
> something that init is doing more than the .rc scripts.  If I have runit
> execute the same startup scripts, rc.S and rc.M, hotplug detect fails to
> initialize my PCI devices.  If I run rc.hotplug after the system has
> finished booting everything seems to work.  Any ideas?

Hmm.  I don't know which init scheme slackware uses, if it's sysvinit,
maybe something in /etc/inittab changed?  Take a look at the console
output in stage 1 when booting with runit, maybe it shows an error
message.  Or drop into an interactive shell in stage 1 (/etc/runit/1)
and try to run rc.S; rc.M by hand to see what's wrong.

HTH, Gerrit.