From: Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>
Subject: Re: Trying to alter runit a little.
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:59:41 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 07:02:24AM -0800, L. Jason Godsey wrote:
> I've removed the requirment for runit to be pid 1.  I want to replace
> init within a FreeBSD jail.  The first process to run isn't pid 1.
>
> Do you see any problems that will become of this?

The runit-init program, normally installed as /sbin/init sends signals
to pid 1 when told to reboot or halt the system.  The runit program
doesn't provide any other communication channel than signals (combined
with magic files), so it relies on being the process with id 1.  If you
change that, nothing else should break but this IPC, but you then have
the problem to find out the id of the runit process on shutdown.  Tools
like pidof are exactly what runit replaces with a reliable solution.

> I just did a make package outside of the jail and the system froze, I'm
> guessing the build process checks for error if runit is not pid 1.
>
> The machine locked up and I'll have to wait a few hours for someone to
> go to the colo machine and power cycle it for me.

I can't see how this relates to your change, building the package should
never make the system hang, unless the system is buggy.

Regards, Gerrit.