I've read the PATTERN MATCHING section of the svlogd man pages a few times and I'm still confused. Since I am well versed in perl regex and extended regex, I'm pretty sure that I'm confused because the documentation is poorly written, not because I'm dumb. So let's take a look: pattern is applied to the log message one character by one, starting with the first. Uhm, I think this first sentence can just be removed. If the reader doesn't know what a pattern is then refer them to the sed info page. Perhaps: "An svlogd pattern is similar to a grep or sed regexp, except much simpler." A character not a star (``*'') and not a plus (``+'') matches itself. OK A plus matches the next character in pattern in the log message one or more times. Huh? Isn't the reverse of how it usually works? Pattern +abc matches aaabc? In other tools, the pattern is written 'a+bc'. Clarify please. A star before the end of pattern matches any string in the log message that does not include the next character in pattern. A star at the end of pattern matches any string. What about a star at the beginning of the pattern? No effect? Some examples would really help. How do I deselect all lines containing "File does not exist" such as: 2005-12-09_06:24:23.99609 [Fri Dec 09 06:24:23 2005] [error] [client 84.73.105.43] File does not exist: /home/ohl/ohl-v2/htdocs/xmlrpc.php Like this? -*File does not exist* -- Make April 15 just another day, visit http://fairtax.org