* exceline & supervision
@ 2006-01-11 10:10 Frans Haarman
From: Frans Haarman @ 2006-01-11 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using exceline to build run scripts for my services. It works
great, the only problem
is other people dont understand it ;)

I am concidering a 'standard' run script.

#!/command/excelineb

fdmove -c 2 1
foreground { ./bin/precmd }
foreground { ./bin/runcmd }
foreground { ./bin/postcmd }
echo 'service has ended'

In my understanding this will allow others to use shell scripts, but it
wont leave a shell hanging
around.

Can anyone see problems with this setup ?

Regards,
Frans

Frans Haarman
De Giessen Automatisering B.V.

Technische Dienst
Tel: (0184) 67 53 75
Fax: (0184) 61 12 46
E-mail: helpdesk@giessen.nl
Internet: www.giessen.nl

Algemeen
Tel: (0184) 67 54 00

D u i d e l i j k e   t a a l !

* Re: exceline & supervision
@ 2006-01-11 15:39 ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2006-01-11 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>    #!/command/excelineb

In a run script, you could use:
#!/command/execlineb -P
Your environment will be cleaner.

>    foreground { ./bin/runcmd }
>    Can anyone see problems with this setup ?

 You won't have any execline-specific problems.
 But instead of having a /bin/sh hanging around, you'll have a
/command/foreground hanging around.

... supervise foo
    \_ foreground
       \_ foo

instead of
... supervise foo
    \_ foo

 This means that you won't be able to use svc to send signals to your
service.

 It's better to forget post-cmd entirely, and have your run script exec
into your service. If you really need a post-cmd, switch from daemontools
to runit, and use runsv's "finish script" feature.

--
 Laurent