From: Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>
Subject: Re: runit upgrades and halt rather than reboot
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:44:31 +0000	[thread overview]

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 12:44:45PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:
> * Paul Jarc <prj@po.cwru.edu> [2006-02-11 14:11:21 -0500]:
>
> > Vincent Danen <vdanen@linsec.ca> wrote:
> > > [root@cerberus sbin]# cp init init.org
> > > [root@cerberus sbin]# ls -i init init.org
> > > 6374308 init*  6301334 init.org*
> >
> > Make a hard link instead of a copy:
> > # ln init init.org
>
> Nice that works, thanks.  Forgot about hard links.
>
> Anyways, it still doesn't work.  Tried a bunch of times and a bunch of
> different things:
>
> 1) cp /sbin/init to /sbin/init.old before upgrade; use reboot
> 2) cp /sbin/init to /sbin/init.old before upgrade; use init.old 6
> 3) ln /sbin/init to /sbin/init.old before upgrade; use reboot
> 4) ln /sbin/init to /sbin/init.old before upgrade; use init.old 6
>
> in all cases, this didn't work.

Try ln /sbin/runit to /sbin/runit.old.

> I was also mistaken in an earlier post... I do not move runit to init,
> but rather runit-init to init (runit stays as is).  So thinking that
> might have something to do with it, I moved runit to init and then it
> just plain old wouldn't let me do anything (fatal: needs to be process 1
> or something similar); got that from running "runit 6", "init 6", and
> "reboot".  So I think I need to have runit-init remain as init and have
> it exec runit.

Yes, runit-init must be /sbin/init.  It's that /sbin/init on unix is not
only used as process 1, but also as command line interface while the
system is up (e.g. 'init 0', 'init 6').  With runit, the process no 1
duties are implemented in the runit program, and the cli in runit-init.
runit-init is installed as /sbin/init, and if it sees itself started
with pid 1, it immediately replaces itself with /sbin/runit, the process
no 1 implementation.  If it's not running as pid 1, it's the command
line interface to signal the (currently as process no 1 running) runit
process.

Regards, Gerrit.