One further thought-- Wayne Marshall wrote: > For the purposes of consistency and making an explicit distinction > between definition and activation, my installations and documentation > are now standardized on the use of /var/service.d as the service > definition directory for all runit services. Then /var/service > continues its role as the primary service activation directory. This choice is madness since the two directories are so similarly named. Is there any reason not to use /etc/ for the activation directory? That's essentially what sysvinit does. I suggest /etc/sv as the activation directory (and perhaps "single" or sv1 for single user mode) and somewhere under /var as the definition directory. Note that there may be various different definition directories. For example, /var/runit-services/ssh /var/runit-services/xdm /var/runit-services/...etc... /var/runit/local/remote-password-reset # site specific Hrm .. so I propose /var/runit as the definition tree. There could be various subdirectories for better organization. For example, bcron needs three services so: /var/runit/bcron/sched /var/runit/bcron/spool /var/runit/bcron/update This is an improvement on the current naming. And socklog fits into this scheme as well: /var/runit/socklog/unix /var/runit/socklog/klog /var/runit/socklog/inet /var/runit/socklog/ucspi-tcp Now, does everybody hate this idea? ;-) -- Make April 15 just another day, visit http://fairtax.org