On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 08:35:22PM +0200, Alex Efros wrote: > 1) Service definition directory can use symlinks to suit FHS: > /etc/sv/SERVICE/supervise -> /var/run/sv/SERVICE/ > /etc/sv/SERVICE/log/supervise -> /var/run/sv/SERVICE/log/ > and ./log/run can start svlogd with /var/log/SERVICE/ as param. > > That way /etc/ will contain only static configuration files, while > logs and ./supervise/ dir will be on /var/. > Service activation directory is /var/service/ or /var/sv/. > > I've tried this way, and found myself always forget to create > ./supervise symlinks BEFORE I start new service and runsv will create > ./supervise directories instead. This can be easy solved by using > script to create service directories, of course. > > Ugly, but suit FHS. I think that's too ugly for mere pedantic FHS compliance. I'd prefer a small amount of read-only data on /var (run, finish, etc) rather than confront symlink hell. With symlinks, it is too comfusing if the run script uses relative paths (eg. envdir ./config and the like).