From: Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject: Re: postfix and svlogd ?
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:23:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi.

> Doesn't anyone use postfix with runit?
>
> Postfix uses syslog, but is there a way to make it work with
> svlogd?
> Or will I have to install socklog and set it up as a UNIX
> log service?

I'm pasting here yet another reply (sent personally) to that
post:

> I do--I use postfix with runit--and there is a patch [1]
> that you can't apply cleanly [as it is in the original],
> yet is the one to go.
>
> See here below what the patch misses ... the stuff
> between "start patch manuale" and "fine patch manuale."
>
> Of course you need then to *stop/restart* Postfix
> [indirectly] via runit.
>
> You can replace completely your original "start)" with the
> new "start|start-foreground)" case here below ... it's in:
>
>   postfix-2.xxx/conf/postfix-script
>
>   in which 2.xxx is your Postfix version (I am using
>   postfix-2.3-2006zzzz)
>
> and it stays stable/invariant (... so far)
>
> Look for:
>
> ** snippet begin:
>
> stop_msg)
>   echo "Stop postfix"
>   ;;
>
> start|start-foreground)
>   $daemon_directory/master -t 2>/dev/null || {
>       $FATAL the Postfix mail system is already running
>       exit 1
>   }
>   if [ -f $queue_directory/quick-start ]
>   then
>       rm -f $queue_directory/quick-start
>   else
>       $config_directory/postfix-script check-fatal || {
>           $FATAL Postfix integrity check failed!
>           exit 1
>       }
>       # Foreground this so it can be stopped. All
>       # inodes are cached.
>       $config_directory/postfix-script check-warn
>   fi
>   # -- roy: start patch manuale
>   if [ $1 = "start-foreground" ] ; then
>       $INFO "starting the Postfix mail sys. (foreground)"
>       exec $daemon_directory/master
>   else
>       $INFO starting the Postfix mail system
>       $daemon_directory/master &
>   fi
>   # -- roy: fine patch manuale
>   ;;
>
> drain)
>
> ** snippet end.
>

> Cheers,
>
> /Roy Lanek (West Sumatra)
>

> [1] search (google) for: postfix-20031026-foreground.diff

But am I seriously mistaken, or is it again some info about how
to run postfix supervised?  And not about how to grab postfix
log messages so as to be able to use "svlogd"?

The fact that several people seem to imply that it isn't trivial
(such as the need for a patch to be applied, as stated above) to
run postfix under runit make me wonder about the example script
provided by Gerrit Pape, copied here below:

---CUT---
#!/bin/sh
exec 1>&2

daemon_directory=/usr/lib/postfix \
command_directory=/usr/sbin \
config_directory=/etc/postfix \
queue_directory=/var/spool/postfix \
mail_owner=postfix \
setgid_group=postdrop \
  /etc/postfix/postfix-script check || exit 1

exec /usr/lib/postfix/master
---CUT---

[No mention of any caveat.]
So actually, is this sufficient or not to run postfix under
supervision???

Thanks for your advice,
Gilles