From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@linsec.ca>
Subject: Re: postfix and svlogd ?
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:53:55 -0700	[thread overview]

* Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> [2006-03-09 15:23:51 +0100]:

> But am I seriously mistaken, or is it again some info about how
> to run postfix supervised?  And not about how to grab postfix
> log messages so as to be able to use "svlogd"?
>
> The fact that several people seem to imply that it isn't trivial
> (such as the need for a patch to be applied, as stated above) to
> run postfix under runit make me wonder about the example script
> provided by Gerrit Pape, copied here below:
>
> ---CUT---
> #!/bin/sh
> exec 1>&2
>
> daemon_directory=/usr/lib/postfix \
> command_directory=/usr/sbin \
> config_directory=/etc/postfix \
> queue_directory=/var/spool/postfix \
> mail_owner=postfix \
> setgid_group=postdrop \
>   /etc/postfix/postfix-script check || exit 1
>
> exec /usr/lib/postfix/master
> ---CUT---
>
> [No mention of any caveat.]
> So actually, is this sufficient or not to run postfix under
> supervision???

Looks like it should be, but might be overkill as well.  What we use
with Annvix (and which works for supervision, without patches):

[vdanen@build ~]$ cat
svn/packages/releases/1.2-RELEASE/postfix/SOURCES/postfix.run
#!/bin/sh
# this was originally posted at http://mandree.home.pages.de/postfix/daemontools.html
# but doesn't seem to be there anymore... thanks google!

set -e

PATH="/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin"

# this runs postfix supervised

command_directory=`postconf -h command_directory`
daemon_directory=`$command_directory/postconf -h daemon_directory`

# kill postfix if running to ensure we run supervised
$daemon_directory/master -t || $command_directory/postfix stop >/dev/null 2>&1

# make consistency check
$command_directory/postfix check >/dev/console 2>&1

exec $daemon_directory/master >/dev/null 2>&1

--
Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"