* correct tcprules directory?
@ 2006-03-07 15:41 Dean Hall
From: Dean Hall @ 2006-03-07 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just want to confirm that I'm using ipsvd-cdb correctly to run qmail, b/c
it's acting like an open relay when it shouldn't.

I have a directory called qmail-smtpd. In it are two files:

- 127.0.0.1
- 192.168.1

The contents of both of them is identical:

+RELAYCLIENT=

I built the cdb file from the parent directory like this:

# ipsvd-cdb qmail-smtpd.cdb qmail-smtpd.cdb.tmp qmail-smtpd

I'm running qmail-smtpd like this:

exec \
  env - PATH="$PATH" \
  envuidgid "$USER" \
  tcpsvd -p \
    -l "$HOSTNAME" \
    -x "$TCPCDB" \
    -c "$CONCURRENCY" \
    "$IP" "$PORT" \
  recordio \
  qmail-smtpd

And $TCPCDB is set to the path of the .cdb file I created above.

Does this look correct? If so, any ideas why qmail-smtpd is acting like an
open relay?

Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.

* Re: correct tcprules directory?
@ 2006-03-16 10:56 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2006-03-16 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:41:46AM -0500, Dean Hall wrote:
> I just want to confirm that I'm using ipsvd-cdb correctly to run qmail, b/c
> it's acting like an open relay when it shouldn't.
>
> I have a directory called qmail-smtpd. In it are two files:
>
> - 127.0.0.1
> - 192.168.1
>
> The contents of both of them is identical:
>
> +RELAYCLIENT=
>
> I built the cdb file from the parent directory like this:
>
> # ipsvd-cdb qmail-smtpd.cdb qmail-smtpd.cdb.tmp qmail-smtpd
>
> I'm running qmail-smtpd like this:
>
> exec \
>   env - PATH="$PATH" \
>   envuidgid "$USER" \
>   tcpsvd -p \
>     -l "$HOSTNAME" \
>     -x "$TCPCDB" \
>     -c "$CONCURRENCY" \
>     "$IP" "$PORT" \
>   recordio \
>   qmail-smtpd
>
> And $TCPCDB is set to the path of the .cdb file I created above.
>
> Does this look correct? If so, any ideas why qmail-smtpd is acting like an
> open relay?

Pristine qmail-smtpd doesn't look at the UID and GID environment
variables.  Unless you patched it, you probably want the -u switch to
tcpsvd instead of envuidgid.

Looks fine to me otherwise, try to make tcpsvd more verbose using -vv,
it'll then show in the logs which instructions are applied to each
connection.

HTH, Gerrit.