From: Kevin <spamite@ev1.net>
Subject: Runit-run and socklog-run upgrades on Debian sid, be careful!
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:23:50 -0600	[thread overview]

I discovered this morning when upgrading my sid box, that runit-run and
socklog-run both failed in interesting ways.

Runit-run replaces the getty links in /var/service with new ones
in /etc/sv.  If you're running the upgrade from a getty, the getty will
die when its service dir link is removed to be replaced, leaving
non-functional services.  I was able to get in via ssh and fix the links
so that the getty's worked, and also tested not-fixing them and letting
dpkg --configure -a finish the job.  Both worked.

The next problem is less of a show-stopper, but still needs to be paid
attention to.  Socklog-run upgrade similar replaces the
old /etc/socklog-? links with /etc/sv/socklog-?.  but it doesn't remove
the old symlinks in /var/service first, and so ln fails because the
target already exists.  Removing the old links allows the postinst
portion of the deb installation to finish.

I'm not sure there are good ways to get around this on an upgrade of these
packages, so I'm uncertain if I should try to file a bug report.  Any
thoughts?