* Runit-run and socklog-run upgrades on Debian sid, be careful!
@ 2006-03-22 15:23 Kevin
From: Kevin @ 2006-03-22 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I discovered this morning when upgrading my sid box, that runit-run and
socklog-run both failed in interesting ways.

Runit-run replaces the getty links in /var/service with new ones
in /etc/sv.  If you're running the upgrade from a getty, the getty will
die when its service dir link is removed to be replaced, leaving
non-functional services.  I was able to get in via ssh and fix the links
so that the getty's worked, and also tested not-fixing them and letting
dpkg --configure -a finish the job.  Both worked.

The next problem is less of a show-stopper, but still needs to be paid
attention to.  Socklog-run upgrade similar replaces the
old /etc/socklog-? links with /etc/sv/socklog-?.  but it doesn't remove
the old symlinks in /var/service first, and so ln fails because the
target already exists.  Removing the old links allows the postinst
portion of the deb installation to finish.

I'm not sure there are good ways to get around this on an upgrade of these
packages, so I'm uncertain if I should try to file a bug report.  Any
thoughts?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 191 bytes --]

* Re: Runit-run and socklog-run upgrades on Debian sid, be careful!
@ 2006-03-22 19:38 ` Matthew R. Dempsky
From: Matthew R. Dempsky @ 2006-03-22 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:23:28AM -0600, Kevin wrote:
> Runit-run replaces the getty links in /var/service with new ones
> in /etc/sv.  If you're running the upgrade from a getty, the getty will
> die when its service dir link is removed to be replaced, leaving
> non-functional services.

Hm, when I upgraded about 30 minutes ago, I saw some weirdness in the
logs, but my fgetty's didn't die.  (I too was upgrading via the
terminal.)

* Re: Runit-run and socklog-run upgrades on Debian sid, be careful!
@ 2006-03-23  6:34   ` Joshua N Pritikin
From: Joshua N Pritikin @ 2006-03-23  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 01:38:31PM -0600, Matthew R. Dempsky wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:23:28AM -0600, Kevin wrote:
> > Runit-run replaces the getty links in /var/service with new ones
> > in /etc/sv.  If you're running the upgrade from a getty, the getty will
> > die when its service dir link is removed to be replaced, leaving
> > non-functional services.
>
> Hm, when I upgraded about 30 minutes ago, I saw some weirdness in the
> logs, but my fgetty's didn't die.  (I too was upgrading via the
> terminal.)

It probably depends on the speed of the machine.  runsvdir polls at
least every 5 seconds so any race condition would be more apparent on a
slow machine.

* Re: Runit-run and socklog-run upgrades on Debian sid, be careful!
@ 2006-04-01  8:31 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2006-04-01  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 09:23:50AM -0600, Kevin wrote:
> I discovered this morning when upgrading my sid box, that runit-run and
> socklog-run both failed in interesting ways.

socklog-run has been fixed since, it hasn't been tested enough, but
that's what Debian/unstable can catch.

> Runit-run replaces the getty links in /var/service with new ones
> in /etc/sv.  If you're running the upgrade from a getty, the getty will
> die when its service dir link is removed to be replaced, leaving
> non-functional services.  I was able to get in via ssh and fix the links
> so that the getty's worked, and also tested not-fixing them and letting
> dpkg --configure -a finish the job.  Both worked.

I'll have to take a look at that.

> I'm not sure there are good ways to get around this on an upgrade of these
> packages, so I'm uncertain if I should try to file a bug report.  Any
> thoughts?

Bug reports to the Debian BTS are just fine for such things.

Thanks, Gerrit.