* Migrating from daemontools
@ 2006-05-10 23:40 Robin Bowes
From: Robin Bowes @ 2006-05-10 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm about to migrate to runit from daemontools (for licensing reasons).

Can I just confirm that it is as simple as :

1. Install runit
2. Create /var/service
3. Add to start up (inittab on linux or /etc/rc.local on FreeBSD)
4. Re-read inittab (Linux) or reboot (FreeBSD)

Am I right in thinking that my current scripts should run OK using runsv
instead of supervise?

Are there runit equivalents of all daemontools binaries, specifically
tai64nlocal (I am assuming that sv == svc, svlogd == multilog) ?

Thanks for any information.

R.

* Re: Migrating from daemontools
@ 2006-05-11  9:29 ` Robin Bowes
From: Robin Bowes @ 2006-05-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robin Bowes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to migrate to runit from daemontools (for licensing reasons).
>
> Can I just confirm that it is as simple as :
>
> 1. Install runit
> 2. Create /var/service
> 3. Add to start up (inittab on linux or /etc/rc.local on FreeBSD)
> 4. Re-read inittab (Linux) or reboot (FreeBSD)
>
> Am I right in thinking that my current scripts should run OK using runsv
> instead of supervise?
>
> Are there runit equivalents of all daemontools binaries, specifically
> tai64nlocal (I am assuming that sv == svc, svlogd == multilog) ?

One thing I've just found out:

To run daemontools *and* run it at the same time (on Linux) it is
necessary to change the ID at the beginning of the line in inittab, e.g.:

# daemontools
SV:123456:respawn:/command/svscanboot

# runit
SX:123456:respawn:/sbin/runsvdir-start

I initially tried this with both lines starting with "SV" and only
daemontools ran.

@ 2006-05-12 15:23 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2006-05-12 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:40:58AM +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:
> I'm about to migrate to runit from daemontools (for licensing reasons).
>
> Can I just confirm that it is as simple as :
>
> 1. Install runit
> 2. Create /var/service
> 3. Add to start up (inittab on linux or /etc/rc.local on FreeBSD)
> 4. Re-read inittab (Linux) or reboot (FreeBSD)

Yes, I would replace the invocation of svscanboot with runsvdir-start
though, and have only runsvdir run.  Then move the services from
/service/ into /var/service/.

> Am I right in thinking that my current scripts should run OK using runsv
> instead of supervise?

Yes, no changes are required as long as you have the daemontools
programs still around.

> Are there runit equivalents of all daemontools binaries, specifically
> tai64nlocal (I am assuming that sv == svc, svlogd == multilog) ?

Not all, fghack is missing.  And tai64n/local doesn't have an equivalent
in runit as svlogd can be told to write human-readable, sortable
timestamps to the logs with the -tt switch.  So this post-processing
isn't necessary.

 svscan, svscanboot, readproctitle -> runsvdir
 svc, svstat, svok -> sv
 supervise -> runsv
 envdir, enduidgid, pgrphack, setlock, setuidgid, softlimit -> chpst
 multilog -> svlogd

Regards, Gerrit.