* runit using /var/service vs. /service
@ 2006-05-18  0:12 Robin Bowes
From: Robin Bowes @ 2006-05-18  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm just building a new server and will be using runit instead of
daemontools. This is on CentOS 4.3.

One issue has struck me that may or may not be a problem...

I have /var mounted on a separate partition so in some circumstances
/var/service will not be available (e.g. booting single user with just
the root filesystem mounted).

Is this likely to cause me any problems? I'm not entirely replacing
init, just launching runsvdir-start from inittab.

Thanks,

R.

* Re: runit using /var/service vs. /service
@ 2006-05-18  1:29 ` Alex Efros
From: Alex Efros @ 2006-05-18  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 01:12:38AM +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:
> I have /var mounted on a separate partition so in some circumstances
> /var/service will not be available (e.g. booting single user with just
> the root filesystem mounted).

I don't really understand your problem, but I think you can create
/var/service symlink in empty /var directory (before mounting it) and
duplicate this symlink on partition which will be mount to /var. This way
I think runsvdir shouldn't notice any changes after mounting /var.

--
			WBR, Alex.

* Re: runit using /var/service vs. /service
@ 2006-05-18 21:37   ` Vincent Danen
From: Vincent Danen @ 2006-05-18 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)