From: Roy Lanek <lanek@novenine.com>
Subject: Re: runit integration
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:04:50 +0700	[thread overview]

> > I think that runit should provide some compatibility
> > mechanism with the existing rc runlevels and
> > /etc/init.d/ scripts. Maintainers carefully polished
> > those scripts, [...]
>
> I don't think it's possible and good idea. Main reason
> to use daemontools/runit - get as secure and as reliable
> solution as possible. It's nearly impossible to write
> complex software which will be secure and reliable...
> and because of this daemontools and runit prefer most
> simplest and straight solutions. Your idea will add
> additional level of complexity and thus result in less
> security and realiability.

Plus, *reality check* [1] if you don't agree, please:

    2.5 STARTUP SCRIPTS

    Red Hat startup scripts

    Startup scripts are one of things that distinguish
    Linux distributions from each other. Red Hat's are a
    complicated mess; they contain many comments such as

       # stupid hack, but it should work

    and

       # this is broken!

    SUSE startup scripts

    Startup scripts are one area in which SUSE really
    outshines the other Linux variants [2]. SUSE's
    startup scripts are well organized, robust, and well
    documented. ...

    Debian startup scripts

    If SUSE is the ultimate example of a well-designed,
    well-executed plan for the management of startup
    scripts, Debian is the exact opposite. The Debian
    scripts are fragile, undocumented, and unbelievably
    inconsistent. ...

[1] Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, and Trent R. Hein, Linux
    Administration Handbook, Prentice Hall [these fellows
    are authorities on the domain: UNIX sysadmin]

[2] The Linux Administration Handbook covers three Linux
    distributions in detail: Red Hat 7.2, SUSE 7.3,
    Debian 3.0.

    Moreover, I wonder how much the *famous trick* of
    the how-to-boil-a-Bullfrog recipe [slowly increase
    the temperature of the water] has played above ...
    there where Evi et al. write of the--yup--"ultimate
    example of a well-designed, well-executed plan for the
    management of startup scripts."

Cheers,

/Roy Lanek

--
########################            bagai air di daun talas
##### . slackware ######         as if water on a leaf of talas