* Alex Efros [2006-06-15 02:59:09 +0300]: > There a lot of ways to do what you need and I think you overcomplicate. Very possible... =) > If you don't need svlogd writing to disc and wish to redirect it output > to some 'summarize' program, then why not use that program instead of > svlogd in ./log/run? Main svlogd task is reliable _writing_to_disc_! No, I do need svlogd to write to disk. Well, maybe not. I'm using socklog for my logging so, for instance, I have /var/log/system/all which has a config of "*.*". I can duplicate that to something else, but svlogd is handling all of the logging from socklog. So I do need svlogd to do it's thing (unless I setup another socklog service to read /dev/log... can I have two socklog processes doing that?) > But you can configure svlogd to duplicate your logs (optionally filtered) > to STDERR (in addition to writing to disc). In degenerate case you even > can configure svlogd to write nothing to disc and send all log lines to > STDERR, but I don't understand why you need svlogd in this case. :) No, I need svlogd to write the logs to disk. In addition to the on-disk logs, I want something to process those logs in realtime... to make a summary log and something that I can have sitting open writing matched entries to STDOUT so I can view it over ssh on my desktop... in realtime. > Then, in ./log/run you redirect svlogd's STDERR to some FIFO file: > svlogd /var/log/something 2>/var/log/MYFIFO > (you can configure a lot of different svlogd to output into single FIFO) > and setup special service which will fetch data from /var/log/MYFIFO, > summarize it, print colored to /dev/tty12 or everything - ./run example: > exec my_cool_summarizer <>/var/log/MYFIFO What does <> do? I've never seen that notation before. > Only one important note about FIFOs - if your 'my_cool_summarizer' > service will be down and will not read from /var/log/MYFIFO all other > svlogd which write into FIFO will also stop soon (after they fill kernel > buffers) and in turn will stop services which they logging. Right... if there's nothing to empty the buffer, it'll block svlogd. That's fine... I can make sure, via dependency handling, that the summarizing service is started first. Some ideas... =) BTW, I think I sent the response on the "tail -F" thing to you and not the list... to summ, I did try "-n 0 -F" and it didn't follow. Could be a swatch thing tho... I'll have to try it again and see if it still doesn't work. If it doesn't, I still need to find an alternative to it, so any suggestions are welcome. -- {FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4} mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0; Empty set (0.00sec) :: Annvix - Secure Linux Server: http://annvix.org/ ::