From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@linsec.ca>
Subject: Re: monitoring svlogd-produced logfiles
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:32:04 -0600	[thread overview]

* Alex Efros <powerman@powerman.asdfGroup.com> [2006-06-15 03:25:26 +0300]:

> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 06:10:05PM -0600, Vincent Danen wrote:
> > No, I do need svlogd to write to disk.  Well, maybe not.  I'm using
>
> You'd better clarify itself, to write or not to write. ;-)

Sorry... I write like I think, which is "out loud".. =)

> > /dev/log... can I have two socklog processes doing that?)
>
> You don't need two socklog reading from /dev/log. ;) Anyway, it's unix
> socket, not a fifo... I don't think you can have two listeners on single
> unix socket.

Oh yes, right, sorry.  duh.  nevermind... been a long day... =)

> > No, I need svlogd to write the logs to disk.  In addition to the on-disk
> > logs, I want something to process those logs in realtime... to make a
> > summary log and something that I can have sitting open writing matched
> > entries to STDOUT so I can view it over ssh on my desktop... in
> > realtime.
>
> Duplicating messages to STDERR from svlogd will allow you to receive them
> in realtime.

I didn't realize svlogd could do that.  Very good to know.

> > What does <> do?  I've never seen that notation before.
>
> man bash.
> Open read/write to workaround case there nobody open this fifo for writing yet.

Cool, thanks.  Good to know.

> > BTW, I think I sent the response on the "tail -F" thing to you and not
> > the list... to summ, I did try "-n 0 -F" and it didn't follow.  Could be
> > a swatch thing tho... I'll have to try it again and see if it still
> > doesn't work.  If it doesn't, I still need to find an alternative to it,
> > so any suggestions are welcome.
>
> Yep. To summ my reply :) I suggest using script-wrapper around tail to
> a) force needed params for tail
> b) debug which param swatch try to use when running tail (without hard
> things like strace)

Well, I can see what swatch is doing just by executing ps... I can see
that it calls it with the right args.  I'll see tomorrow if it picks up
the new ./current file after it rotates (about another 300k left before
it rotates).

Thanks for the brain prods... =)

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;