* runit (1.0.5)
@ 2006-07-11 14:12 Pascal de Bruijn
From: Pascal de Bruijn @ 2006-07-11 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I noticed runit, which looks really great! I intend to use it on my
homebuilt embedded linux os, which runs on a PC-Engines WRAP board
(which are low powered x86 compatible boards).

I'm using buildroot/uclibc to build the embedded os. This is where the
trouble starts. buildroot more or less expects a standard autoconf
structure or at least something similar. And your build scripts don't
seem to allow for certain build parameters:

  --target=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME)
  --host=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME)
  --build=$(GNU_HOST_NAME)

There build parameters are necessary because my compiler isn't called
just 'gcc' but 'i486-linux-gcc'. I'm basically cross compiling on the
from and to the same platform, because I don't want to rely on my
distribution supplied compiler.

Is there any convenient way to make this work?

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn

--
http://blog.pcode.nl/
http://del.icio.us/pmjdebruijn/

* Re: runit (1.0.5)
@ 2006-07-12 15:16 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2006-07-12 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 04:12:49PM +0200, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
> I noticed runit, which looks really great! I intend to use it on my
> homebuilt embedded linux os, which runs on a PC-Engines WRAP board
> (which are low powered x86 compatible boards).
>
> I'm using buildroot/uclibc to build the embedded os. This is where the
> trouble starts. buildroot more or less expects a standard autoconf
> structure or at least something similar. And your build scripts don't
> seem to allow for certain build parameters:
>
>   --target=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME)
>   --host=$(GNU_TARGET_NAME)
>   --build=$(GNU_HOST_NAME)
>
> There build parameters are necessary because my compiler isn't called
> just 'gcc' but 'i486-linux-gcc'. I'm basically cross compiling on the
> from and to the same platform, because I don't want to rely on my
> distribution supplied compiler.
>
> Is there any convenient way to make this work?

You can configure the compiler and linker through src/conf-cc and
src/conf-ld, here's an example for the dietlibc

 http://smarden.org/runit/usedietlibc.html

For real cross-compiling, some handwork must be done.  The build system
uses runtime tests to detect support for platform specific features, see
the sysdeps target in src/Makefile.  If it cannot run test programs, you
need to find out and manually choose the appropriate headers.

HTH, Gerrit.