On Tuesday 18 July 2006 03:38, Uffe Jakobsen wrote: > I may be wrong here but there seems to be some sort of confusion about > the internal state of a service versus the external runit state > running/not running. > > The runit supervisor framework can only see if a service (process) is > running - it has no idea if that service is yet functional or not. Correct. You did identify the point of confusion for us though, I think. I was only interested in the service's state. We don't have any services that take any time to initialize like you spoke of later. > My guess is that you've until now just been lucky that your service > typically takes just a little less than 2 seconds to initialize and > become operational. None of our services take longer than that to become operational. Anything that would be so big typically gets broken down into smaller services. > That is why Gerrit suggests that you should implement a test in your > check script that can determine if your service actually has become > operational (functional) yet or not. Typical checks could be to test if > the service is listening on a socket/port. > > Let's hope I'm not all wrong :-) You were not wrong, actually. And I thank you and Gerrit both for your assistance.