* runit on Debian vserver (related to #306390)
       [not found] <20060719143952.BD73418EE4C@kolab.intevation.de>
@ 2006-07-20 15:24 ` Bernhard Reiter
From: Bernhard Reiter @ 2006-07-20 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

[resend to list according to Gerrit's wishes.
Please cc me on relevant replies. ]

Hi Gerrit,

yesterday I ran in the same problem as Debian bug #306390
with runit-1.0.5-3.

As the Debian bugtracker does not allow comments anymore,
I thought it is best to send it to you directly:

To 306390@bugs.debian.org:

I have just run into the same problem with runit 1.5.0-1 (Debian
stable).because the vserver was set up already I thought it was a runit bug.
My other administrator spend quite some time for it,
so the bug is not closed from my point of view.

To close it, I suggest to add a hint when telinit q (aka kill -s HUP 1) fails:

"You might be in a vserver environment where telinit q does not work.
A workaround is to comment out kill -s HUB 1 in the postinst script
and start runit differently.
Another workaround one is to make the vserver recognise
telinit and use inittab to start things (initstyle plain)."

Of course, in case of failure the postinst should remove
the inittab entry again, to avoid problems in the next run.

On my installation the problem is solved,
but it took a bit of time to find the problem and I would save others
the time with this hint.

Thanks a lot for runit, I find it a nice software with well written
documentation and Free Software.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

* Re: runit on Debian vserver (related to #306390)
@ 2006-07-24 10:02   ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2006-07-24 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 05:24:28PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> yesterday I ran in the same problem as Debian bug #306390
> with runit-1.0.5-3.

> I have just run into the same problem with runit 1.5.0-1 (Debian
> stable).because the vserver was set up already I thought it was a runit bug.
> My other administrator spend quite some time for it,
> so the bug is not closed from my point of view.
>
> To close it, I suggest to add a hint when telinit q (aka kill -s HUP 1) fails:
>
> "You might be in a vserver environment where telinit q does not work.
> A workaround is to comment out kill -s HUB 1 in the postinst script
> and start runit differently.
> Another workaround one is to make the vserver recognise
> telinit and use inittab to start things (initstyle plain)."
>
> Of course, in case of failure the postinst should remove
> the inittab entry again, to avoid problems in the next run.

Ok, thanks for the hint, I'll see what I can do.

> On my installation the problem is solved,
> but it took a bit of time to find the problem and I would save others
> the time with this hint.
>
> Thanks a lot for runit, I find it a nice software with well written
> documentation and Free Software.

Thanks, Gerrit.