From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision@skarnet.org>
Subject: Re: Option for runsv/runsvdir to specify how many times to restart a service in a certain time period before giving up?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:58:34 +0100	[thread overview]

> Of course there no need to polling anything - each ./finish execution
> equal to 'restart event' (or, more precisely, 'shutdown event', but in
> this case there no significant difference).

 Hmmm. Of course it can be done with the finish script, but my point was:
if I'm going to implement the throttle feature as an external program,
can I do it without changing anything in my runit configuration whatsoever ?
Users shouldn't have to patch their finish scripts in order to use the
throttle feature. So the "./run is down, ./finish is executing" information
has to be available somewhere outside for it to work.

 This is a notification problem; we have extensively discussed notification
on this list, and I have written a piece of software to do just that,
except that it's so ugly I retired it ^^"

 Another approach to the throttle feature that doesn't require notification
from runit would be to have a short-lived program, designed to be called in
the finish script, that stores its information (last calling time ans such)
in the filesystem. Maybe it's what you were thinking about. But I'm not
sure how to make it reliable; storing short-lived information in the
filesystem is very error-prone, that's the .pid way, which is precisely
what supervision tools were designed to avoid.

--
 Laurent