* doc patch suggestion
@ 2006-11-14  4:33 David Kaufman
From: David Kaufman @ 2006-11-14  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the "runit - replacing init" document (at
http://smarden.sunsite.dk/runit/replaceinit.html), I was running merrily
along, following the "Replacing sysvinit (GNU/Linux)" steps, when I got
a bit stuck at step 5:

"Step 5: Service migration" advises me to migrate my services, but lacks
a link to the docs where a new user such as myself might find
instructions detailing exactly how to do that.  Eventually I noticed
that "the missing links" are provided in the same "Step 5 - Service
Migration" of the *second* part of that same document, under "Replacing
init (*BSD)" way down the page almost at the bottom:

  To migrate a service, create a service directory,
  disable the service if it is running, [...]
  tell runsvdir (runsvdir.8.html) about the new
  service.

I think it would save new runit (Linux sysvinit) users a bit of "huh?"
and some minutes of early head-scratching if that last paragraph from
the BSD Step 5 was included in the Linux Step 5 as well!

Also linking the words "create a service directory" to faq.html#create
would be doubly great!  I'm sure this all seems painfully obvious to
users familiar with runit, but if the BSD-section doco readers deserve
this extra hand-holding, surely we too-scairt-to-run-sid Linux users do,
too :-)

Thanks,

-dave

* Re: doc patch suggestion
@ 2006-11-15  9:40 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2006-11-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:33:46PM -0500, David Kaufman wrote:
> In the "runit - replacing init" document (at
> http://smarden.sunsite.dk/runit/replaceinit.html), I was running merrily
> along, following the "Replacing sysvinit (GNU/Linux)" steps, when I got
> a bit stuck at step 5:
>
> "Step 5: Service migration" advises me to migrate my services, but lacks
> a link to the docs where a new user such as myself might find
> instructions detailing exactly how to do that.  Eventually I noticed
> that "the missing links" are provided in the same "Step 5 - Service
> Migration" of the *second* part of that same document, under "Replacing
> init (*BSD)" way down the page almost at the bottom:
>
>  To migrate a service, create a service directory,
>  disable the service if it is running, [...]
>  tell runsvdir (runsvdir.8.html) about the new
>  service.
>
> I think it would save new runit (Linux sysvinit) users a bit of "huh?"
> and some minutes of early head-scratching if that last paragraph from
> the BSD Step 5 was included in the Linux Step 5 as well!
>
> Also linking the words "create a service directory" to faq.html#create
> would be doubly great!  I'm sure this all seems painfully obvious to
> users familiar with runit, but if the BSD-section doco readers deserve
> this extra hand-holding, surely we too-scairt-to-run-sid Linux users do,
> too :-)

Thanks David, documentation is updated.

Regards, Gerrit.