From: Vincent Danen <vdanen@linsec.ca>
To: Mike Buland <mike@geekgene.com>
Cc: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: aborting at stage 1?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:12:57 -0600	[thread overview]

* Mike Buland <mike@geekgene.com> [2007-04-28 18:22:22 -0600]:

>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Vincent Danen wrote:
>> > * Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@math.ist.utl.pt> [2007-04-28 13:20:21 +0100]:
>> >
>> > This has pretty much nothing to do with runit.  For instance, my
>> > /etc/runit/1 is:
>>
>> Thank you for your reply, but I'm kind of lost here. The system I'm
>> trying to setup is LFS. I don't want to use general boot scripts, I'm
>> trying to keep the boot scripts (i.e., stages 1 and 3 scripts) simple
>> and customized to my system (sacrifying generality). I noticed that the
>> rc script in the link you provided uses /sbin/halt. In my Gentoo system,
>> /sbin/halt belongs to the sysvinit package, so I suppose it will not be
>> available in a sysvinit-free, pure runit, system. Is this correct? If
>> so, the point is how to halt the system during stage 1 when something
>> goes wrong and the root filesystem is not writable. From what I
>> understood of the runit man pages, the only way to halt the computer
>> when something goes wrong during stage 1 is to have the script
>> /etc/runit/1 to issue "init 0". This will jump over stage 2 but will go
>> to stage 3, which will need the root filesystem to be writable.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jorge Almeida
>
>I've been an LFS guy for quite a while now, and if you want any extra help
>with system setup feel free to send me an e-mail.  As far as halt goes, it is
>part of the sysvinit package, but so are a lot of other pretty important base
>components, checking my paco log it has mountpoint, pidof, halt, killall5,
>poweroff, reboot, shutdown, sulogin, telinit, last, lastb, mesg, utmpdump,
>and wall.  You can always install it and then get rid of the couple programs
>you're not going to use, but init only takes up 32k stripped on my system.
>
>On my machine I setup runit to use the sysv style rc sysinit to begin with,
>it's really very easy, and you can always clean up the scripts that you don't
>need once you get it all working.
>
>Like I say, if you want more info about cleaning this up or working with LFS,
>let me know.

Likewise.  Annvix ships with SysVinit because it does have some pretty
important tools which Mike outlined above.  But I always remove
SysVinit's init program as I find runit better.  So, even though
SysVinit exists and is installed, the init program itself isn't.
There's nothing wrong with this (and you'll be missing a lot of good
tools if you go completely without).

--
Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/