* runit in Ubuntu official repository doesn't work
@ 2007-06-19  3:00 Jeff Xiong
From: Jeff Xiong @ 2007-06-19  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Hi there.

As Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn uses "upstart" and gets rid of /etc/inittab
file, the installation package in Ubuntu official repository is broken
now: it fails to install.

(Also refer to:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/1305/match=ubuntu)

I'm not sure who is responsible for the Deb packages and where should
I raise this issue, so sorry for bothering if here is not the correct
list.

--
Jeff Xiong
Software Journeyman - http://gigix.thoughtworkers.org

* Re: runit in Ubuntu official repository doesn't work
@ 2007-06-19 18:17 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2007-06-19 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:00:12AM +0800, Jeff Xiong wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> As Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn uses "upstart" and gets rid of /etc/inittab
> file, the installation package in Ubuntu official repository is broken
> now: it fails to install.
>
> (Also refer to:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/1305/match=ubuntu)

I'll include these instructions into the next runit version.

> I'm not sure who is responsible for the Deb packages and where should
> I raise this issue, so sorry for bothering if here is not the correct
> list.

The correct place IMO is the ubuntu bug tracking system, and indeed
there's already a report

 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/runit/+bugs

Following up to that report, and maybe providing a patch might help.

Regards, Gerrit.

* Re: runit in Ubuntu official repository doesn't work
@ 2007-06-19 20:08   ` Rafal Bisingier
From: Rafal Bisingier @ 2007-06-19 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On 19-06-2007, 18:17 +0000, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:00:12AM +0800, Jeff Xiong wrote:
> > Hi there.
> >
> > As Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn uses "upstart" and gets rid of /etc/inittab
> > file, the installation package in Ubuntu official repository is broken
> > now: it fails to install.
> >
> > (Also refer to:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/1305/match=ubuntu)
>
> I'll include these instructions into the next runit version.

Newer Upstart (like used in Ubuntu 7.04) have a slightly different
syntax. To use runit with it you'll have to change the line:
	respawn /sbin/runsvdir-start
into:
	respawn
	exec /sbin/runsvdir-start

--
Greetings
Rafal Bisingier

* Re: runit in Ubuntu official repository doesn't work
@ 2007-06-20 16:24     ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2007-06-20 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 10:08:37PM +0200, Rafal Bisingier wrote:
> On 19-06-2007, 18:17 +0000, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:00:12AM +0800, Jeff Xiong wrote:
> > > (Also refer to:
> > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/1305/match=ubuntu)
> >
> > I'll include these instructions into the next runit version.
>
> Newer Upstart (like used in Ubuntu 7.04) have a slightly different
> syntax. To use runit with it you'll have to change the line:
> 	respawn /sbin/runsvdir-start
> into:
> 	respawn
> 	exec /sbin/runsvdir-start