* Alex Efros [2007-10-21 01:20:51 +0300]: >Hi! > >On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 06:11:26PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote: >> it sounds like a signal is not reaching init, SIGPIPE? > >PIPE? You mean CHLD? > >> The following sed to default sshd_config >> s/.*PasswordAuthentication.*/PasswordAuthentication no/ >> s/.*UsePam.*/UsePam no/ >> will really cut back the impact of bad internet on public sshd port, >> of course you will only be able to use keys (PKI/RSA) to connect. > >Yeah, this is my default ssh configuration. :) But ssh worms anyway try to >connect (they doesn't know is senseless :)) and so ssh fork new processes >for these connections and these processes become unreaped zombies at some >point. The simplest thing to do would be to either use tcp_wrappers or run sshd out of xinetd or (my favourite) ipsvd. With some appropriate ACLs and IP-based restrictions, you can reduce those attacks to *0* reaching sshd as xinetd/ipsvd would deny them before even starting sshd. -- Vincent Danen @ http://linsec.ca/