* spf and peers
@ 2007-10-24  4:21 George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2007-10-24  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

I use ipsvd/peers to manage smtp connections, eg I recently began
disabling in smtp spam checks for discussion lists. That's easy
for some domains, but others publish spf records with MX records,
IPs, CIDR subnets and other spf domains (which in turn have more
spf domains -- it's a mess really).  Gmail is not so bad but no
one would do ebay by hand.

So I was wondering if anyone has a tool or suggestions to build
one for the generation of peers files from spf records?

// George

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx
http://www.subnet-calculator.com/

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><

* Re: spf and peers
@ 2007-10-25 19:54 ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2007-10-25 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Georgalis; +Cc: supervision

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, George Georgalis wrote:

> I use ipsvd/peers to manage smtp connections, eg I recently began
> disabling in smtp spam checks for discussion lists. That's easy
> for some domains, but others publish spf records with MX records,
> IPs, CIDR subnets and other spf domains (which in turn have more
> spf domains -- it's a mess really).  Gmail is not so bad but no
> one would do ebay by hand.
>
> So I was wondering if anyone has a tool or suggestions to build
> one for the generation of peers files from spf records?

I'd recommend that you seriously consider taking a look at using qpsmtpd
as your SMTP daemon. Doing arbitrarily complicated things with spf records
is relatively easy in qpsmtpd plugins. qpsmtpd handles the mail traffic of
perl.org and apache.org, so I guess it can handle your traffic as well.

I'm not intending to slight mailfront at all. It's great software, but
doesn't come close to the flexibility and feature set of qpsmtpd.

---
Charlie

* Re: spf and peers
@ 2007-10-25 21:47   ` George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2007-10-25 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 03:54:29PM -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I use ipsvd/peers to manage smtp connections, eg I recently began
>> disabling in smtp spam checks for discussion lists. That's easy
>> for some domains, but others publish spf records with MX records,
>> IPs, CIDR subnets and other spf domains (which in turn have more
>> spf domains -- it's a mess really).  Gmail is not so bad but no
>> one would do ebay by hand.
>>
>> So I was wondering if anyone has a tool or suggestions to build
>> one for the generation of peers files from spf records?
>
> I'd recommend that you seriously consider taking a look at using qpsmtpd as
> your SMTP daemon. Doing arbitrarily complicated things with spf records is
> relatively easy in qpsmtpd plugins. qpsmtpd handles the mail traffic of
> perl.org and apache.org, so I guess it can handle your traffic as well.
>
> I'm not intending to slight mailfront at all. It's great software, but
> doesn't come close to the flexibility and feature set of qpsmtpd.

In the past I've given qpsmtpd a serious look
on 3 or 4 occasions.  But each time I elected
to write or stay with "prequeue" instead
http://metrg.net/pub/script/prequeue

Anyway at the moment, I just want to add "ACCEPT"
IPs to my peers cdb.  (BTW - this doesn't mean I
won't spam filter after SMTP *sigh*).

I just took a look at the qpsmtpd SPF plugin, and I
may be able to use its call to Mail::SPF::Query as
an example to add SPF ACCEPT IPs to my ipsvd config
-- even though I never really learned perl. :-\

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><