* inhibiting /etc/init.d/foo on debian?
@ 2007-12-28 18:09 Adam Megacz
From: Adam Megacz @ 2007-12-28 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Hello,

On a bunch of machines I use runit for whatever services I care most
about, and leave /sbin/init running to handle the big piles of
miscellaneous stuff that debian keeps in /etc/init.d/

So far I've been inhibiting the runit-ified services from starting
using something like this:

  update-rc.d -f $1 remove
  update-rc.d -f $1 stop 99 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 S .

The only problem here is that many package install/uninstall scripts
explicitly invoke their own /etc/init.d scripts as part of the
prerm/postinst.  Is there any way to stop the scripts from executing
in these situations, or (even better) make them perform the
appropriate "sv {up|down}" action?

In particular, this causes rather severe problems for some daemons
that do not cope well with having two copies of themselves running at
the same time.

Thanks!

  - a

--
PGP/GPG: 5C9F F366 C9CF 2145 E770  B1B8 EFB1 462D A146 C380

* Re: inhibiting /etc/init.d/foo on debian?
@ 2007-12-28 20:28 ` KORN Andras
From: KORN Andras @ 2007-12-28 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 10:09:07AM -0800, Adam Megacz wrote:

Hi,

> On a bunch of machines I use runit for whatever services I care most
> about, and leave /sbin/init running to handle the big piles of
> miscellaneous stuff that debian keeps in /etc/init.d/
>
> So far I've been inhibiting the runit-ified services from starting
> using something like this:
>
>   update-rc.d -f $1 remove
>   update-rc.d -f $1 stop 99 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 S .
>
> The only problem here is that many package install/uninstall scripts
> explicitly invoke their own /etc/init.d scripts as part of the
> prerm/postinst.  Is there any way to stop the scripts from executing
> in these situations, or (even better) make them perform the
> appropriate "sv {up|down}" action?

Sure.

dpkg-divert --rename /etc/init.d/foo
ln -s /usr/bin/sv /etc/init.d/foo

And voila, you're done.

The only drawback is that things like /etc/init.d/foo reload won't work
because sv doesn't handle custom actions (unless you apply a patch I
submitted to the Debian BTS).

A different workaround would be to dpkg-divert the original foo initscript
and write a new one that invokes sv start|stop|whatever when appropriate and
does what the original script did on 'reload' and any other custom commands.

Andras

--
                 Andras Korn <korn at chardonnay.math.bme.hu>
                 <http://chardonnay.math.bme.hu/~korn/>	QOTD: