From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: About spam (was: Usenet Group dead?)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 15:24:07 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:47:54AM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
>> No.  It just works.
>
> Absolutely. :)
>
> Also, about the spam... I'm sorry. I thought about it for a while, but
>I really can't bring myself to implement per-message-confirmation, like
>on DJB's lists; it seems to me it would be more inconvenient for the
>users than the occasional spam message getting through. It certainly
>would be more inconvenient to me.
>
> With enough opinions, I can be talked into doing it, though.

aaaaaaaaawh crap. now I'm getting subscribe confirmation
requests with posts to this list.

   552     04/04 Yahoo! Groups   (0.8K) Please confirm your request to join Panhala
   553     04/04 Yahoo! Groups   (0.8K) Please confirm your request to join thunderbayfreecycle
   554     04/04 Yahoo! Groups   (0.8K) Please confirm your request to join dpr-indonesia

please figure out which address is doing that and remove
it. eg, look at the subscribed log and go backwards in
time, sending a test message with headers etc to match
a regular list post. Cycle through all the subscribers
waiting a minute or two for each and when one triggers
the confirm request delete that subscriber. (the test
message could say if this genertes crap you will be
removed immedately).

as for spam I can't say enough about grey listing and
ip rbl; I do both of these at smtp level and they are
extriemly effective. I also spamassassin at smtp level
but I make exceptions for ip of discussion lists, cause
I get myself unsubscribed when spam goes to the list and
I reject in smtp.  For the unfiltered list messages, I
use procmail to invoke spamassassin at user level.

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><