* Usenet Group dead?
@ 2008-03-29 18:59 TheOldFellow
From: TheOldFellow @ 2008-03-29 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

There only ever seems to be spam here these days, has runit died?
R.

* Re: Usenet Group dead?
@ 2008-03-29 23:23 ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2008-03-29 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TheOldFellow; +Cc: supervision

Hello!

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 06:59:39PM +0000, TheOldFellow wrote:
> has runit died?

No.  It just works.

Regards,
 Thomas

* About spam (was: Usenet Group dead?)
@ 2008-03-31  7:47   ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2008-03-31  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

> No.  It just works.

 Absolutely. :)

 Also, about the spam... I'm sorry. I thought about it for a while, but
I really can't bring myself to implement per-message-confirmation, like
on DJB's lists; it seems to me it would be more inconvenient for the
users than the occasional spam message getting through. It certainly
would be more inconvenient to me.

 With enough opinions, I can be talked into doing it, though.

--
 Laurent

* Re: About spam (was: Usenet Group dead?)
@ 2008-04-01  0:10     ` Mike Buland
From: Mike Buland @ 2008-04-01  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Monday 31 March 2008 01:47:54 am Laurent Bercot wrote:
> > No.  It just works.
>
>  Absolutely. :)
>
>  Also, about the spam... I'm sorry. I thought about it for a while, but
> I really can't bring myself to implement per-message-confirmation, like
> on DJB's lists; it seems to me it would be more inconvenient for the
> users than the occasional spam message getting through. It certainly
> would be more inconvenient to me.
>
>  With enough opinions, I can be talked into doing it, though.

I don't think that's necesarry.  I don't mind the occasional spam message,
although every so often I do get an e-mail telling me that if one more
message bounces ezmlm (I think that's what's being used) will take me off the
list.  Apparently spam assasin bounces the e-mails before I see them.

So far it seems that the e-mail explaining that I will be removed satisfies
ezmlm that I exist, and I keep getting valuable e-mail...although sometimes I
worry that I'm missing something.  I don't suppose anyone knows any clever
way around that problem?

--Mike

* Re: About spam (was: Usenet Group dead?)
@ 2008-04-01  0:20       ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2008-04-01  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Buland; +Cc: supervision

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Mike Buland wrote:

> So far it seems that the e-mail explaining that I will be removed satisfies
> ezmlm that I exist, and I keep getting valuable e-mail...although sometimes I
> worry that I'm missing something.  I don't suppose anyone knows any clever
> way around that problem?

Put a decent spam filter in front of ezmlm. If my smtp daemon won't accept
the mail because it doesn't have a Date header, list.skarnet.org's daemon
can do it. If my spamassassin can reject mail because it scores 50 on the
spam scale, it's so obviously spam that it doesn't need to be relayed.

But if Laurent is not very concerned, then for now we can probably live
with the slightly extra load.

* Re: About spam (was: Usenet Group dead?)
@ 2008-04-01  3:02         ` Mike Buland
From: Mike Buland @ 2008-04-01  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Monday 31 March 2008 06:20:11 pm Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Mike Buland wrote:
> > So far it seems that the e-mail explaining that I will be removed
> > satisfies ezmlm that I exist, and I keep getting valuable
> > e-mail...although sometimes I worry that I'm missing something.  I don't
> > suppose anyone knows any clever way around that problem?
>
> Put a decent spam filter in front of ezmlm. If my smtp daemon won't accept
> the mail because it doesn't have a Date header, list.skarnet.org's daemon
> can do it. If my spamassassin can reject mail because it scores 50 on the
> spam scale, it's so obviously spam that it doesn't need to be relayed.
>
> But if Laurent is not very concerned, then for now we can probably live
> with the slightly extra load.

I must have phrased that poorly...I'm running spamassasin on my e-mail server,
receiving e-mail from the supervision@list.skarnet.org ezmlm server (I think
it's ezmlm).  So e-mail coming into any of my personal e-mail lists are
filtered, but so are e-mails coming through this list.  That's the problem,
ezmlm at list.skarnet.org thinks I don't exist periodically, since spam
bounces. :)

Not a big deal, it seems to figure it out on it's own, just thought I would
mention it.

--Mike

* Re: About spam (was: Usenet Group dead?)
@ 2008-04-04 19:24     ` George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2008-04-04 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 09:47:54AM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
>> No.  It just works.
>
> Absolutely. :)
>
> Also, about the spam... I'm sorry. I thought about it for a while, but
>I really can't bring myself to implement per-message-confirmation, like
>on DJB's lists; it seems to me it would be more inconvenient for the
>users than the occasional spam message getting through. It certainly
>would be more inconvenient to me.
>
> With enough opinions, I can be talked into doing it, though.

aaaaaaaaawh crap. now I'm getting subscribe confirmation
requests with posts to this list.

   552     04/04 Yahoo! Groups   (0.8K) Please confirm your request to join Panhala
   553     04/04 Yahoo! Groups   (0.8K) Please confirm your request to join thunderbayfreecycle
   554     04/04 Yahoo! Groups   (0.8K) Please confirm your request to join dpr-indonesia

please figure out which address is doing that and remove
it. eg, look at the subscribed log and go backwards in
time, sending a test message with headers etc to match
a regular list post. Cycle through all the subscribers
waiting a minute or two for each and when one triggers
the confirm request delete that subscriber. (the test
message could say if this genertes crap you will be
removed immedately).

as for spam I can't say enough about grey listing and
ip rbl; I do both of these at smtp level and they are
extriemly effective. I also spamassassin at smtp level
but I make exceptions for ip of discussion lists, cause
I get myself unsubscribed when spam goes to the list and
I reject in smtp.  For the unfiltered list messages, I
use procmail to invoke spamassassin at user level.

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><

* Re: About spam (was: Usenet Group dead?)
@ 2008-04-05 11:55       ` Laurent Bercot
From: Laurent Bercot @ 2008-04-05 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

> aaaaaaaaawh crap. now I'm getting subscribe confirmation
> requests with posts to this list.

 -_-
 I don't understand why people - or bots - would subscribe
*mailing list subscribing adresses* to another mailing list.
What is the benefit of that ? There's no profit for anyone.
Do they do it for pure annoyance value ?

 Anyway, I cleaned up the subscribers list. This message serves
as a test.

 If such things happen again, please notify me privately - no need
to clutter up the list even more than it is ; use the address written
in the From: line - and I'll deal with the offenders.

--
 Laurent