From: Laurent Bercot <ska-supervision@skarnet.org>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: pidsig 0.11 - a fghack like de-daemonisation tool
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 20:46:53 +0200	[thread overview]

> pidsig works very similarly to fghack, will create (at least) one pipe
> in the newly started daemon, but in addition to that, it will also
> keep track of the pid for the child it started.  With the recorded
> pid, pidsig is able to pass on (some) signals that it receives itself.

 Nice !

> There are some obvious, and some quirky features that I have plans to
> implement - it all depends on the interest.

 I would advise to implement just the features you need. Such a tool,
like fghack, is very handy to have when there's no other choice; however,
we don't want people to rely on them, to use them as excuses for bad
coding practices. And if you make pidsig too powerful, you *know* it's
going to happen.

 Working in professional environments has made me very disillusioned
about the way people design software (when they design it) and understand
Unix (when they understand it). Having workarounds is good, but if you
make it too easy for people to misbehave, *they will*.

 So... scratch your itch, but don't go out of your way to accommodate
all kinds of ugly practices. :)

--
 Laurent