* installing runit as a user...
@ 2010-10-21 21:16 George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2010-10-21 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit Pape, supervision

Hi -

I'd like to use runit and svlogd as a user in a couple
applications (eg x11 sessions and desktop widgets) and I was
wondering what experiences people have had with this?

It looks like both socklog and runit require a package/upgrade
rewrite since they don't accept any configuration, but that should
be straightforward.

Garrit, it this something you would include in forthcoming
releases and if so, do you have any requirements or preferred
methods?

--George

* Re: installing runit as a user...
@ 2010-10-21 22:27 ` Jameson Rollins
From: Jameson Rollins @ 2010-10-21 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Georgalis, Gerrit Pape, supervision

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:16:36 -0700, George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
> I'd like to use runit and svlogd as a user in a couple
> applications (eg x11 sessions and desktop widgets) and I was
> wondering what experiences people have had with this?

Hi, George.  I have much experience running runit as a user.  On systems
where I don't have administrative access, I typically use cron to start
runsvdir on boot (as well as checking that it continues to run).

I have also been experimenting with "user runsvdir" instances that are
controlled by the system runsvdir instance.  If the user has a ~/.sv
directory, the user runsvdir process manages run dirs in that directory.
It works very well, and I use it control a lot of user daemons that I
run, including pulseaudio, mpd, urxvtd, offlineimap, msva, etc.  If I
ever get the time, I hope to turn this into a package that would allow
admins to easily offer runsvdir service to their users.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have.

> It looks like both socklog and runit require a package/upgrade
> rewrite since they don't accept any configuration, but that should
> be straightforward.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I'm also not sure why socklog would
be relevant if you're interested in running runit as a normal user.
socklog is a syslogd replacement, and at least requires being root to
start, unless there's something I don't understand.

jamie.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: installing runit as a user...
@ 2010-10-21 22:39 ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2010-10-21 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Georgalis; +Cc: supervision

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, George Georgalis wrote:

> I'd like to use runit and svlogd as a user in a couple
> applications (eg x11 sessions and desktop widgets) and I was
> wondering what experiences people have had with this?
>
> It looks like both socklog and runit require a package/upgrade
> rewrite since they don't accept any configuration, but that should
> be straightforward.

Why do you think they need a rewrite? What do you think needs rewriting?
AFAICT, you can compile, copy binaries to where you want to put them, and
run them.

What are you trying to do which you cannot do?

@ 2010-10-21 23:30   ` George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2010-10-21 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

On Thu 21 Oct 2010 at 06:39:56 PM -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, George Georgalis wrote:
>
>> I'd like to use runit and svlogd as a user in a couple
>> applications (eg x11 sessions and desktop widgets) and I was
>> wondering what experiences people have had with this?
>>
>> It looks like both socklog and runit require a package/upgrade
>> rewrite since they don't accept any configuration, but that should
>> be straightforward.
>
>Why do you think they need a rewrite? What do you think needs rewriting?
>AFAICT, you can compile, copy binaries to where you want to put them, and
>run them.

yeah, that's all. the package/upgrade script needs to be replaced
because it doesn't accept non root configuration.

>What are you trying to do which you cannot do?

nothing. the question is should I go through the trouble of writing
something Gerrit could distribute or just make a "works for me" fix.

@ 2010-10-21 23:46   ` George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2010-10-21 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jameson Rollins; +Cc: Gerrit Pape, supervision

On Thu 21 Oct 2010 at 06:27:09 PM -0400, Jameson Rollins wrote:
>On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:16:36 -0700, George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
>> I'd like to use runit and svlogd as a user in a couple
>> applications (eg x11 sessions and desktop widgets) and I was
>> wondering what experiences people have had with this?
>
>Hi, George.  I have much experience running runit as a user.  On systems
>where I don't have administrative access, I typically use cron to start
>runsvdir on boot (as well as checking that it continues to run).
>
>I have also been experimenting with "user runsvdir" instances that are
>controlled by the system runsvdir instance.  If the user has a ~/.sv
>directory, the user runsvdir process manages run dirs in that directory.
>It works very well, and I use it control a lot of user daemons that I
>run, including pulseaudio, mpd, urxvtd, offlineimap, msva, etc.  If I
>ever get the time, I hope to turn this into a package that would allow
>admins to easily offer runsvdir service to their users.

great idea, I don't imagine you have sv configured to look in
~/sv or some such?

managing the path to sv and the path sv uses could get confusing
since I normally use the sgid on the supervise directory to
control root services as a user...

maybe make svu (sv-user) to differentiate?  I knew there would be
more decisions to make...

>> It looks like both socklog and runit require a package/upgrade
>> rewrite since they don't accept any configuration, but that should
>> be straightforward.
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I'm also not sure why socklog would
>be relevant if you're interested in running runit as a normal user.
>socklog is a syslogd replacement, and at least requires being root to
>start, unless there's something I don't understand.

I was planning to install socklog to get the svlogd binary... but
maybe that's included with runit? I haven't checked.

@ 2010-10-22  0:20     ` Joan Picanyol i Puig
From: Joan Picanyol i Puig @ 2010-10-22  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

* George Georgalis <george@galis.org> [20101022 01:43]:
> On Thu 21 Oct 2010 at 06:27:09 PM -0400, Jameson Rollins wrote:
> >On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:16:36 -0700, George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
> >> I'd like to use runit and svlogd as a user in a couple
> >> applications (eg x11 sessions and desktop widgets) and I was
> >> wondering what experiences people have had with this?

[...]
> >I have also been experimenting with "user runsvdir" instances that are
> >controlled by the system runsvdir instance.  If the user has a ~/.sv
> >directory, the user runsvdir process manages run dirs in that directory.
[...]
> great idea, I don't imagine you have sv configured to look in
> ~/sv or some such?
>
> managing the path to sv and the path sv uses could get confusing
> since I normally use the sgid on the supervise directory to
> control root services as a user...

The only managing headache that I've found is permissions in
directories. You want to allow users read only access to their
supervisors' logs, not more. I have a vague recollection of this being
discussed previously.

qvb
--
pica

* Re: installing runit as a user...
@ 2010-10-22 22:07     ` Jameson Rollins
From: Jameson Rollins @ 2010-10-22 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Georgalis; +Cc: supervision

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:46:25 -0700, George Georgalis <george@galis.org> wrote:
> great idea, I don't imagine you have sv configured to look in
> ~/sv or some such?

I don't modify anything.  I just give the path to the run dir as the
argument to sv.

> I was planning to install socklog to get the svlogd binary... but
> maybe that's included with runit? I haven't checked.

Yes, it's included with runit.

@ 2010-10-22 22:10     ` Jameson Rollins
From: Jameson Rollins @ 2010-10-22 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Georgalis, supervision