* Message by -Mike Buland- from Tue 2010-11-09: > I just wanted to let everyone know that I've come across a strange > problem compiling runit. The issue seems to be with glibc version > 2.12.1, earlier versions did not exhibit this. I've also tried GCC > 4.5.1, 4.5.0, and 4.4.5. The binutils version I'm using is 2.20.1. > > When compiling, the runit and runit-init programs link statically, and > the result does not appear to be a valid executable program. The > system complains that there is no valid entry point. Interestingly > enough, I can't get this to happen with any programs that aren't runit > and runit-init. Also, the problem is not evident when linking against > dietlibc. The executables I made with dietlibc are fine. > > I don't think this is an issue for runit, actually, especially since > there is a workaround, but it is a concern for the glibc developers, > but who knows when they'll get around to fixing it. I thought the > list in general could benefit from my somewhat limited research into > the problem. I'm also in the process of figuring out if this is a new > bug for the glibc devs or not so I can report it to them. > > Also, I'm running a 32bit x86 system, and I've tried it on a couple > different processors, with a few different compile options in place > while building glibc, always the same results. I get "unexpected reloc type in static binary" and a segfault: bash-4.0$ package/check Checking commands in ./command... + cd compile + exec make check ./check-local chpst runit runit-init runsv runsvchdir runsvdir sv svlogd utmpset Checking chpst... Checking runit... unexpected reloc type in static binarySegmentation fault 139 runit failed. make: *** [check] Error 1 This is with Glibc 2.13. Somewhat older Glibc versions work alright, for instance 2.11.2. As a workaround (or fix), I changed src/conf-ld to call "gcc" and not "gcc -s".