From: eric vidal <eric@obarun.org>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: State of skarnet.org projects
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 07:17:18 +1100	[thread overview]

On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 11:42:57 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Feb 2020 11:40:07 +0200
> fungal-net <fungalnet@obarun.org> wrote:
>
> > Steve Litt:

> > > Have you, or are you going to, write documentation on how to install
> > > and maintain s6 (and presumably s6-rc) on Void? Are you using Void's
> > > s6* packages, or do you compile the stuff yourself? If you install
> > > Void's s6* packages, does that remove runit? I'd like to have both,
> > > to a/b them against each other and to more quickly learn s6*.
> >
> > All s6 related packages are available on the repository (I believe all
> > current).  I think this work begun and was carried out by Duncaen (a
> > void main member) and he didn't give up, he just realized I think that
> > it would take fundamental void changes to incorporate it as an
> > official alternative.
> > Mobinmob stepped in and brought 66 and libs into void and is
> > maintaining them (currently 1 version behind obarun).  The official
> > documentation for 66 is https://web.obarun.org/software as well as
> > https://wiki.obarun.org/ and due to cross-distribution rules and
> > requests Eric caved into the pressure and provides both html and man
> > pages in the 66 pkg and tools.
> > What is missing from void are the ready made service files that are
> > available to copy/paste from https://framagit.org/pkg/observice
> > and place them into  /usr/share/66/service (instead of obarun's
> > /usr/lib/66/service).  The most important is the boot bundle enabled
> > in the boot tree.
> > https://web.obarun.org/software/66/frontend.html  --> Prototype
> > template of a service file.  Use only the fields that pertain to your
> > service
>
> If I read between the lines, it sounds like you're saying the
> best way to learn s6 is to install and run Obarun. I have a spare
> machine on which I could do that.
>
> Do you think the best and easiest way of learning s6 and the best way
> to use s6 is to install Obarun?

Surely not, a various wrapper for s6/s6-rc program exist e.g https://gitea.com/CasperVector/slew.
Also, some good wiki about s6/s6-rc exist e.g. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/S6.
Furthermore, you can create your own wrapper to suit your exact needs.

Actually, 66 works out of the box on many distros, debian spin included like Antix or Devuan.
The main advantage of Obarun is that it provide all packages skalibs/execline/s6/s6-rc/.../66
without the needs to change anything to properly works. 66 works on mechanisms, not on policies and highly
configurable at compile time.

As being said, you can simply download an ISO(maybe the minimal one, no X session) from Obarun web site and
test directly on the ISO the 66 tools. You can use docker too. A docker image is provide with 66 into it.

--
eric vidal <eric@obarun.org>