* External health Check Process
@ 2020-10-22 12:28 Oliver Schad
From: Oliver Schad @ 2020-10-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Hi everybody,

we have cases, where processes are still there, but doesn't work
anymore. This is a common problem with runtime environments like java
or golang, where the memory management might have problems and internal
routines doesn't work anymore. That is really a common problem in that
area (heap too small, too frequently garbage collection, ...)

I know you can model a service in s6, which watches another service and
kills it, so in fact the problem is solved outside of s6. But I wanted
to ask to develop a feature to get a simple way to model that within s6.
Usually it's good enough to call a external command with a timeout and
watches exit code.

Yes, that means polling but in a datacenter is a polling health check
not a big energy problem.

Is that something, you can imagine in the future, supporting an
external health check?

Best Regards
Oli

--
Automatic-Server AG •••••
Oliver Schad

www.automatic-server.com | oliver.schad@automatic-server.com
Tel: +41 71 511 31 11 | Mobile: +41 76 330 03 47