From: Oliver Schad <oliver.schad@automatic-server.com>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: Supervision on the BSD's
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:56:19 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, 09 Apr 2022 11:36:35 +0000
"Ramarro Marrone" <rm@allmail.net> wrote:

> I too had been surprised by the lack of supervision in OpenBSD.
> > Are the daemons included with the
> > distributions so incredibly stable that they don't need supervision
> > in order to keep the system functional?
>
> Yes

It's just a question of chance and big numbers. So if you're
responsible for a big fleet of things and you have costs to handle
every failure, it makes sense to have supervision to reduce these costs.

Most users with a few machines never observed any failure ever,
independent of the operating system and (server) software.

If this would be the argument to decide if supervision is necessary,
nobody would need it.

And yes, the BSD world tries to be conservative compared to Linux and
yes, OpenBSD tends to be the most conservative BSDs related to changes.
But I think that isn't the most important thing for decision.

I.e. your super stable BSD doesn't help against DoS attacks (read as
overload), unstable hardware, misconfiguration of services, packet
loss, ...

Best Regards
Oli

--
Automatic-Server AG •••••
Oliver Schad

www.automatic-server.com | oliver.schad@automatic-server.com
Tel: +41 71 511 31 11 | Mobile: +41 76 330 03 47