From: "Mike" <eichlan@xagasoft.com>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: configurable path to ./supervise/
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:48:30 -0600 (MDT)	[thread overview]

> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 06:21:27PM -0400, Charlie Brady wrote:
>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/iconoclast
>
> Very informative. And who is iconoclast here? djb? me? you?
> DJB is smart, and if he doesn't used /var/{log,run} and put everything in
> same directory, I'd like to know his reasons. Or at least your
> supposition about these reasons.
> This has nothing with icon or iconoclast.
>
> --
> 			WBR, Alex.

"a person who attacks settled beliefs or institutions"
Iconoclast describes djb, I believe.  He is smart, but he has little
reguard for established practices, and rarely gives a reason.  There are
numerous examples of this.  In this case I imagine he just wanted to keep
all of the data together in one place.  If daemontools supports symlinks
at least half as well as runit then it would be possible to distribute the
data as one sees fit.  As it is, I'm sure that djb is/was aware of
/var/{log,run} but prefers his own "better" way of doing things, just like
/packages, just like /var/qmail structure, just like maildir.

I'm not saying his ways are bad, I'm saying that he has never really tried
to make his stuff fit into the existing structures and practices.  He
feels that his way is better, and should be used no matter what practices
predate them.

--Mike