* runit-1.2.0 available
@ 2004-12-18 19:59 Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2004-12-18 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, a new test package of runit is available for testing

 http://smarden.org/runit/

With this version the runsv program makes controlling the service
through commands normally sent by runsvctrl configurable; arbitrary
actions through external programs can optionally be specified, and
signalling of the service disabled if desired.  See the man page[0]
for details.

runsv now reports the seconds since ./run has been started when running
the ./finish script, instead of the seconds since ./finish has been
started.  It no longer reports immediately failing ./run scripts as
``running'' for up to one second, but as ``down, normally up, want up''.

If you use runit regularly, please contribute[1] to the project.

Thanks, Gerrit.

[0] http://smarden.org/runit/runsv.8.html
[1] http://smarden.org/pape/#contribution

* runit-1.2.1 available
@ 2005-01-16 12:41 ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-01-16 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, runit version 1.2.1 is available for testing

 http://smarden.org/runit/

The svwaitdown and svwaitup programs now accept a minimum wait timeout of
one second instead of two, and relative pathnames to service directories.
runsv has been fixed to run the optional customized control on exit also
after receiving a term signal, and more contributed scripts have been added
to the collection of run scripts.

Regards, Gerrit.

* pid of controlled service (was Re: runit-1.2.0 available)
@ 2005-01-20 18:30 ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2005-01-20 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Gerrit Pape wrote:

> With this version the runsv program makes controlling the service
> through commands normally sent by runsvctrl configurable; arbitrary
> actions through external programs can optionally be specified, and
> signalling of the service disabled if desired.  See the man page[0]
> for details.

Looks like it could be a very useful feature.

I think it could be more useful if runsv would set an environment variable
so that the external programs don't need to parse anything if they wish to
send signals to, or otherwise query the status of, the controlled program.

Thanks

---
Charlie

* Re: pid of controlled service (was Re: runit-1.2.0 available)
@ 2005-01-21 19:35   ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-01-21 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 01:30:22PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> > With this version the runsv program makes controlling the service
> > through commands normally sent by runsvctrl configurable; arbitrary
> > actions through external programs can optionally be specified, and
> > signalling of the service disabled if desired.  See the man page[0]
> > for details.
>
> Looks like it could be a very useful feature.
>
> I think it could be more useful if runsv would set an environment variable
> so that the external programs don't need to parse anything if they wish to
> send signals to, or otherwise query the status of, the controlled program.

I'm not sure that's a good idea.  The pid may change while the external
program is running, better let the runsv program send the signals to the
service.  And if the program really needs the pid, it can get it from
./supervise/pid.

Regards, Gerrit.

* Re: pid of controlled service (was Re: runit-1.2.0 available)
@ 2005-01-21 21:01     ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2005-01-21 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Gerrit Pape wrote:

> > I think it could be more useful if runsv would set an environment variable
> > so that the external programs don't need to parse anything if they wish to
> > send signals to, or otherwise query the status of, the controlled program.
>
> I'm not sure that's a good idea.  The pid may change while the external
> program is running, better let the runsv program send the signals to the
> service.

I don't know how that would be possible if you wanted a custom handler to
do something special and then pass the signal on to the daemon. The custom
handler would have no way of asking the runsv process to deliver the signal,
correct?

> And if the program really needs the pid, it can get it from
> ./supervise/pid.

Ah, yes, I forgot that.

* Re: pid of controlled service (was Re: runit-1.2.0 available)
@ 2005-01-21 21:47       ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-01-21 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:01:54PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> > I'm not sure that's a good idea.  The pid may change while the external
> > program is running, better let the runsv program send the signals to the
> > service.
>
> I don't know how that would be possible if you wanted a custom handler to
> do something special and then pass the signal on to the daemon. The custom
> handler would have no way of asking the runsv process to deliver the signal,
> correct?

If the program exits with a return code other than zero, runsv still
will be sending the signal.  The program cannot adjust which signal, but
I think that's what the command given via runsvctrl is for.

Regards, Gerrit.

* Re: pid of controlled service (was Re: runit-1.2.0 available)
@ 2005-01-21 22:31         ` Charlie Brady
From: Charlie Brady @ 2005-01-21 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: supervision

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Gerrit Pape wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:01:54PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> > > I'm not sure that's a good idea.  The pid may change while the external
> > > program is running, better let the runsv program send the signals to the
> > > service.
> >
> > I don't know how that would be possible if you wanted a custom handler to
> > do something special and then pass the signal on to the daemon. The custom
> > handler would have no way of asking the runsv process to deliver the signal,
> > correct?
>
> If the program exits with a return code other than zero, runsv still
> will be sending the signal.

The penny drops! Yep, that does the job.

Thanks

---
Charlie

* runit-1.2.2 available
@ 2005-04-09 12:56   ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-04-09 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, a new runit test package is available

 http://smarden.org/runit/

This version fixes and improves the documentation, and slightly changes
warning messages of some programs.  The svlogd program has been fixed to
properly prefix log messages written to standard error with a timestamp
if configured so.

Regards, Gerrit.

* runit-1.2.3 available
@ 2005-04-18 17:40     ` Gerrit Pape
From: Gerrit Pape @ 2005-04-18 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, a new runit test package is available through

 http://smarden.org/runit/

This version fixes the package build failure caused by false alarms in
some program self-tests, and updates the collection of run scripts.

Regards, Gerrit.

* Re: runit-1.2.3 available
@ 2005-04-19 10:58       ` Uffe Jakobsen
From: Uffe Jakobsen @ 2005-04-19 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gerrit,

Gerrit Pape wrote:
> This version fixes the package build failure caused by false alarms in
> some program self-tests, and updates the collection of run scripts.

This version works for me - thanks.

Kind regards Uffe