From: "Scott Colby" <scott@scolby.com>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: Understanding the syslogd-linux Service Script
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 13:59:55 -0400	[thread overview]

>   There is not, because the UCSPI model - the one that s6-ipcserver
implements - is about handling data *streams*, and forking a child to
handle each separate client (as the venerable inetd does).

That makes sense to me.

>   If your goal is to have syslog messages appear on your container's
> stdout, then you should actually be able to get away with not having
> any syslogd service at all, which is always the preferred solution!

That is my goal and it's interesting that I didn't observe the logs
ending up on the container's stdout. I was considering that the
program I want to run (OpenDNSSEC, to be exact) does something funny
that would prevent this when I came across an undocumented configuration
option that allows logging to a file or stdout instead of using
syslog. I have to sigh, for this is not the first time I've had to
read the source of this program in order to figure out what is going
on.

In any case, thank you for all the explanation. I'm certain my
improved understanding of both s6 and syslog will come in handy in
the future.

Scott