From: "Daniel Clark" <dclark@pobox.com>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: How to kill runsv, no matter what?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:04:21 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2/21/07, Daniel Clark <dclark@pobox.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get to a state where I can add and remove the runit
> package without leaving any state behind (I'm using it for runsvdir,
> not as an init replacement). When the package is removed, all of the
> runit services should stop, and state about what services were started
> is saved somewhere; on reinstall, that state should be reintroduced,
> and any runit services should be restarted.
>
> In theory this should be pretty trivial (assuming I am RTFMing
> correctly); I think something like this in the removal stage:
>
> test -d /usr/local/var/service/.disabled || mkdir
> /usr/local/var/service/.disabled
> mv /usr/local/var/service/* /usr/local/var/service/.disabled/ 2>/dev/null \
>     || printf "No services to disable.\n"
> printf "Waiting 7 seconds for runsv processes to die...\n"
> sleep 7
> # ... (Code that stops runsvdir) ...
> for service in `ls /usr/local/etc/sv`; do
>     test -d /usr/local/etc/sv/$service/supervise \
>         && rm -rf /usr/local/etc/sv/$service/supervise
>     test -d /usr/local/etc/sv/$service/log/supervise \
>         && rm -rf /usr/local/etc/sv/$service/log/supervise
> done

I happened upon an earlier mailing list thread, "sv exit doesn't seem
to work properly" [1], and changed the code to stop runsvdir and then
do a "sv exit" on each service [2], however it didn't help at all.

For simplification the basic question is why "sv exit" doesn't stop
runsv and runsv's associated processes with this particular service,
bcfg2-client; if that can be fixed, then the rest of the problem is
also solved.

The run code for bcfg2-client was in my previous email, or you can see
it here [3] and the script that it calls is here [4].

[1] Re: sv exit doesn't seem to work properly
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.supervision.general/1259

[2] runit-1.7.2.ep: preremove script
http://www.bcfg2.org/browser/branches/feature/runit/encap/src/encap-profiles/runit-1.7.2.ep#L182

[3] bcfg2-client run script
http://www.bcfg2.org/browser/branches/feature/runit/encap/src/encap-profiles/bcfg2-0.9.2.ep#L409

[4] Script that the bcfg2-client run script kicks off
http://www.bcfg2.org/browser/branches/feature/runit/encap/src/encap-profiles/bcfg2-0.9.2.ep#L373