From: "Daniel Clark" <dclark@pobox.com>
To: supervision@list.skarnet.org
Subject: Re: How to kill runsv, no matter what?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:46:42 -0500	[thread overview]

On 2/23/07, Paul Jarc <prj@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> "Daniel Clark" <dclark@pobox.com> wrote:
> > I can't really control if those processes start child processes in
> > many cases
>
> It's fine if they start child processes, but if they don't clean up
> their children when exiting, that's a bug in those services.

I don't know enough about services to know if that is correct - Alex
seems to have a counterexample - but the original daemontools seems to
work with services with this "bug", and both daemontools and (I think)
runit have a suite of tools to hack around issues with services that
aren't designed to work with the supervision model of service control
(e.g. the thing that forces processes to stay in the foreground).

Actually, perhaps that would be the best way to deal with this - some
small binary that can be used instead of exec in "run" scripts that
has the property of killing all of its child processes when it dies -
would something like that be feasible?

--
Daniel Clark # http://dclark.us # http://opensysadmin.com