On Feb 15, 2006, at 10:09 AM, George Georgalis wrote: > I use a > standard access logfile for each virtual domain, and would like > to use a svlogd for each domain's error log; both cases to manage > rotation. Not sure an access (or error) service will help me, > besides the apache logfile is being written (in addition) which is > what I thought was being avoided by using svlogd... I think the named pipes discussion is appropriate to your problem, actually. In this situation, I would probably: 1. Create a log directory per-virtual host. 2. Create "error" and "access" subdirectories of all of those. 3. In each "error" and "access" subdirectory, I would create a fifo. 4. For each virtual host, I would configure apache to write access logs to the "access" fifo in the appropriate directory; likewise with error logs, except to "error". 5. For each fifo, create a service that reads from it (exec < / whatever/access/fifo) and execs svlogd in that directory. The only problem with this is that apache might block until the svlogd service is reading from the fifo. The log services aren't really "log services" in the runsv sense, so you'd need to handle dependencies manually such that they start before apache does. (Some thing like might work, but I haven't touched it in a while, and I need to make some bugfixes.) >>> Ultimately we may need to go beat up apache developers. ;-) For more reasons than this, definitely. I'll be so happy when I can move to lighttpd. -- Dean Hall http://deanpence.com The Cornhole Show http://thecornholeshow.com