From: Enrico Scholz <enrico.scholz@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
Subject: Re: svlogd as a heavy-duty logger
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 00:21:17 +0200	[thread overview]

deanpence@gmail.com (Dean Hall) writes:

> I work for a company that has a dire need for a syslog replacement, and
> as a long-time daemontools and runit user, I'd like to propose a svlogd
> (or similar) solution for us.
>
> The main reservation I have is the robustness/scalability of svlogd.
> Has anyone load-tested svlogd, or does anyone have experience with
> svlogd's behavior under a heavy load?

I played some time with svlogd in an environment (Linux-VServer) where
multiple svlogd daemons (>20) run on the same machine. But this solution
showed too bloated because svlogd is too minimalistic and does not support
basic functions:

* encryption of logstream is possible by an external program only which
  must be spawned at each logrotation; because of SSL key exchange this
  is a very heavyweight operation

* logrotation is very unflexible; low-volume logs will be transmitted very
  seldom and svlogd does not support a way to rotate them periodically. You
  will need external programs started e.g. by cronjobs which send SIGALRM
  to svlogd. But this will have bad sideeffects as it rotates all logfiles
  but not only the low-volume ones.

At the end, I switched to syslog-ng. It offers more flexibility and is
more lightweighted.

Enrico