On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:16:36 -0700, George Georgalis wrote: > I'd like to use runit and svlogd as a user in a couple > applications (eg x11 sessions and desktop widgets) and I was > wondering what experiences people have had with this? Hi, George. I have much experience running runit as a user. On systems where I don't have administrative access, I typically use cron to start runsvdir on boot (as well as checking that it continues to run). I have also been experimenting with "user runsvdir" instances that are controlled by the system runsvdir instance. If the user has a ~/.sv directory, the user runsvdir process manages run dirs in that directory. It works very well, and I use it control a lot of user daemons that I run, including pulseaudio, mpd, urxvtd, offlineimap, msva, etc. If I ever get the time, I hope to turn this into a package that would allow admins to easily offer runsvdir service to their users. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. > It looks like both socklog and runit require a package/upgrade > rewrite since they don't accept any configuration, but that should > be straightforward. I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm also not sure why socklog would be relevant if you're interested in running runit as a normal user. socklog is a syslogd replacement, and at least requires being root to start, unless there's something I don't understand. jamie.