From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Debian/Ubuntu apt package instead of tar.gz?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:14:15 -0500	[thread overview]

I have some questions about the Debian/Ubuntu runit package.

Does anyone know how much of a time lag there usually is between the
release of a new runit-x.y.z.tar.gz on the runit web site and the
updates of the Debian and Ubuntu apt packages for the same software?

I'm wondering if it's worth blowing away my tar.gz installation of runit
on my Ubuntu machine and redoing it via apt.

Also, will an apt installation use different install directories than
the default tar.gz build?

If the directory structure of the installed software is the same for
both types of installations, then I wouldn't need to blow anything away
before re-installing from apt.

And finally, one more question: I know that the runit apt package
doesn't replace init, but I can't tell whether it installs itself into
inittab as described on the "runit - use with traditional init" web
page.  Does it do so?

Thanks in advance for any info you folks can give me about all this.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com