* svlogd localtime option
@ 2004-07-01 19:53 Jared Rhine
From: Jared Rhine @ 2004-07-01 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the spirit of making svlogd output useful to humans, svlogd has the
-tt switch to output in human-readable UTC.  Would there be resistance
to having it be really useful by supporting a -ttt which uses
localtime?  We're really talking about having using localtime instead
of gmtime in one line in fmt_ptime.c, though option processing and
such would need to change.

I appreciate that UTC-based servers are useful in a global setting,
but it's a hindrance to good systems administration in many contexts.
And there's always the internal politics, where coworkers complain.

I couldn't find any references to this enhancement request in the
mailing list archives.  Apologies if this has been raised and rejected
in the past.

It may be the case that there's already an (undocumented?) -ttt
option, if I'm reading svlogd.c right.  It looks like that option
truncates the sub-second portion.  Perhaps -tttt for localtime
instead?

PS: #define USAGE in svlogd.c is out of sync with svlogd.8, with
respect to -tt.

-- jared@wordzoo.com

"A black hole is where God is dividing by zero."
        -- attributed to Roger Smith